• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade assigned seems unusually low.

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I just received back my graded notes and one of the grades seemed particularly low.   I was assigned a 35 grade for a 1928 $50 gold note and according to the scale this is for a note with 4-7 small folds.  Attached is a photo of the front and back and I could only detect a single light crease.  Can you please check this out and advise whether I should return for a regrade.

$50b.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning. Thanks for your message. Many times folds may be difficult to see inside the holder so they are not always apparent once the note is encapsulated. You are certainly welcome to send any note back for a regrade if you do not agree with the grade, however, we cannot guarantee that there will be any change in the grade. Regular grading fees would apply to a regrade.  If you have any questions, you can contact our customer service department at 877-764-5570 or by email at service@pmgnotes.com.  Thank you!

Thanks for your response.  I actually looked at the note under a magnifying glass and only found one light fold.  I think it's best if I bring it in to the next currency show where PMG representatives are present so I can have the note looked at up close. 

The reality is that the graders are all different and the chances of all notes being graded the exact same is practically impossible. Remember, this is 60% details and 40% how it "appears" to them. Once it has been graded by PMG, it will most likely retain that grade because they protect each other and PMGs reputation (understandably so). If you had a note graded by them and then requested a re-grade or even took the note out of the holder (sending it in like it has never been graded), they will look up the serial in their system to see if it had been previously graded and you will end up with the same grade. If you could put 10 graders each in different rooms and give them 10 notes to grade. The only way they would all have the same grade is if they cheated. I would bet a thousand bucks on that!

Someone should develop a scanner that can measure everything from creases/folds, centering, stains and even color depth so that it takes the human factor out of grading. Until then, just pray that when you send it in for the first time, that your grader is having a good day.