• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick ways to tell if a Note will receive a NET grade or adverse comments?

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if there were some techniques a collector could use to tell if a note would receive a NET grade (repaired, restored, cleaned, pressed, ect....)? Because when you buy notes from a dealer or other source their return window is very small. So it does not leave enough time to get the note graded. So what are some techniques the average collector could use to tell if the note would receive a NET grade?

Thanks

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, whether or not a note would receive a NET grade would depend on the individual note and is decided on a case by case basis by our graders. However, our definition of a NET graded note might be of some help to you:

A “Net” graded note is one that exhibits mishandling or problems that are more significant than one would expect for the assigned numeric grade. Notes with moderate-to-extensive circulation are expected to exhibit some problems and PMG will not assign a “Net” grade unless these issues are severe. If a note is “Net” graded, the problem will be listed. Common problems that may result in a “Net” grade include a large tear or tears into the design, PVC damage, a missing corner, an amateur repair and extensive staining or annotations. The grade guarantee does not apply to Notes given a “Net” grade by PMG. Notes with “Net” grades are guaranteed to be genuine only.

If you have any additional questions, you can reach our customer service department at 941-309-1001 or by e-mail at service@pmgnotes.com.

Thank you.

Thank you, I know what a net grade is. I want to know like do I need a black light will that help detect some abnormalities, or an infrared light or are their specific things that would quickly tell me if something has been done to a note. Because I am more concerned with some quick ways to tell. Because when I buy a note the window to return it is only a couple days and that is not enough time to get it graded because every note i buy gets graded and I want to be able to return a note that would receive a net grade.

Thanks

• Administrator

Unfortunately, we would not be able to provide you with specific grader techniques. Our graders do examine notes under special UV lighting and magnification as one part of the grading process. They would be looking for things like tears, missing pieces, stains or writing on the notes. Any or all of these things could result in a NET grade. However, again, this is determined on a case by case basis.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you.

You could use an l.e.d. light behind the note looking for wear related issues comparing with honest online images. On the return challenge, express submissions usually come back in a few days; and I use corporate express usps so I get the graded notes back the next day. I would ask dealers about their standards and guarantees.