• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on New $100 Note

7 posts in this topic

Ok, this may seem like a dumb question, but I know the new colorized $100 notes were originally series 2009, but then they had a bunch of production problems, so when they were released they were all series 2009A, which had a prefix letter L before the serial number. Yesterday I got a series 2009 note, with a J prefix letter. Is that a scarcer series, i.e. should I save this one and send another $100 bill with my wedding card?

I read this at the US Paper Money Info website;

"Colorised $100 notes were first released into circulation on October 8, 2013, but all of those notes were Series 2009A; none of the re-inspected Series 2009 printings reached circulation until early 2016."

This is my only example, but I've seen more....mostly star notes.

scan0004_zps3vh7sq1o.jpg

Went to the bank today to get money for the plumber (re piping entire house to pex-a) and ask the lady for $100s. She gave me 2009 Serie A. Was nice, and being a complete newbie with paper money, didn't knew what to check. I need to kick my own butt now...

I went to bank and it was a very quiet time and a very nice teller pulled out stacks of 100's. She had no idea what a star note was and patiently went through thousands of dollars looking for star notes after I showed her on Ebay people try to sell recent star notes. She pulled out 5 star notes! I bought two that were crisp AU but don't know why. Is there really any value with new even 65 graded star notes? I doubt it.