• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreign Gold/Silver backed currency

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any older foreign currency that was backed by gold/silver and it stares that on the note. Kind of like the gold/silver certificates of the US. Prefer english language notes, but other languages would be nice also.

Its been a week since I orginally posted this question. I guess the answer to it is no, or know one knows or know one cares. Unfortunately I am not able to read every language in the catalog. I found out that China did not do it that way. I would think some european countries like Switzerland, older Spain, Netherlands, France, Italy would have Bills created that stated it was good for X number of ducats or something.

I am not aware of any, but in the Western European countries, it was understood that the currency was exactly as defined by the current law, and most were not on the bimetallic standard that we had in the US. So a pound sterling was a defined weight of silver and a sovereign was a defined weight of gold, even though they were of equivalent value.