• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about PMG Holder

11 posts in this topic

Hello to forum! I had my first PMG notes about 2-3 months and I have to say that i expected the holder to be hard plastic like coins. Instead, the holder is like a lamination, but the real problem for me is that is bending. The surface ot the holder is not straight and the banknote follows tha curve of the holder. I am worrying if this thing cause folding problems on notes inside..Is PMG thinking of changing the holders to a hard plastic like notes? I think that at least the holder should be totally straight without any curve on its surface.

Both PMG and PCGS are the standard for paper money grading. I can tell you that the PMG holders are the best out of all of them. It would never work if a paper money holder was truly solid. The note is fine in there assuming you take precautions to protect the holder.

Please understand, and I can't speak for PMG directly, ams I am only a collector, but NO holder for any collectible is perfectly safe if the person who handles the item doesn't use caution. A lot of people are under the assumption that coin, comic, and paper money third party certified holders are air tight and water proof; however this is not the case.

If you search these boards, under the 'Ask PMG' section, you may find more info on your original question...

I hope that helps and welcome to the hobby...

Have you ever considered getting your notes reholdered? For a modest fee, PMG will place your note in a new holder...

As for your notes arriving 'bended' I have no idea what you mean. I own a lot of notes and never had a problem...

And I own notes by both PMG and PCGS

Again it may be best to search the forums, as PMG already answered your question in another post. Or you could just email PMG rather than post about it here...

Hello, welcome to the discussion board.

Im going to try to answer your question.

The pmg holder is my only holder.

Pcgs is not water tight enough for me.

many collectors have placed there very expensive notes in pmg holdrrs

So there is confidence in the holders ptotection

I have seen a curve or bend in the holders.

But dont see any negative impact on the note.

There are hard plastic holders cga. But I dont trust the grading.

If someone is willing to put there $800,000 value note in a pmg holder.

Its safe enough for me. Just dont bend it, take care.

http://www.pmgnotes.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2153&PMG-Notes-Realize-Great-Results

Thanks for the answer GW! I appreciate that you had a clear answer for me.

Well...i didnt knew if that curve affects the note, so i wanted to ask the forum. You said that it doesnt affect it and i take it into consideration. My notes are very expensive too, and i didnt like the curve in the holder in an ms66 banknote. I hope this doesnt leave any permanent folding even if it is very light. Thanks again for your time ;)

I dont understand your attitude. You forbid me to post here? !!

I know very well the term 'bend'....

actually i have sent a post to pmg and i will rehold them...but i only care about safety..not grades.I wanted other people to tell me about their holders...

I would highly advise you to reread what I wrote. I never said 'I forbid you to post here.' in fact I took MY TIME to help answer your questions. I am merely stating that if you search the forum in whole you may may find more information and new answers to your questions. More information is never a bad thing. In the future please refrain from 'twisting my words,' as a simple thank you will do...

Both PMG and PCGS are the standard for paper money grading. I can tell you that the PMG holders are the best out of all of them. It would never work if a paper money holder was truly solid. The note is fine in there assuming you take precautions to protect the holder.

Please explain why "It would never work if a paper money holder was truly solid". Thanks.

I don't have any problems with the PMG holders or the PCGS holders. The older CGA holders were a bit more flimzy but i'm not sure if they changed holders when they changed ownership. When I lay the majority of my notes on a flat surface such as a table most of them don't lay perfectly flat. Most of them have a bit of a wave to them, both PMG and PCGS. I do prefer the PMG holders over the PCGS holders for two reasons. 1. They are all the same size compared to the PCGS holders. I probably have 5-6different sized holders all for small size notes from PCGS. 2. I like the way that the label is incorporated into the holder and not just a sticker folded over the top. Either way both will bend, and it will take abnormal abuse to either holder to actually damage a note.

I think the problem with a hard plastic case is that its going to cost more, it would be harder to display your notes, they will take up a lot more storage room, and the hard plastic holders will surely scratch easily I would assume. At least thats my assumption.

Please explain why "It would never work if a paper money holder was truly solid". Thanks.

If you would reread what I wrote above, this question has already been answered by PMG themselves somewhere in the 'ask PMG' section of the forum; though the answer is hidden in another thread in that section. Since both PMG and PCGS are the grading standards in this hobby, I would suggest you kindly call their 800 number and ask them. They will be able to scientifically explain the answer to you, where I would only be able to paraphrase what they stated and my answer is by no way thorough enough.

They both offer great customer service, but in my opinion PMG has the edge. However, both use a similar kind of Mylar for their holders and no currency grading company will ever use hard plastic.

I hope that helps and welcome to the currency forums...