• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning old bills

10 posts in this topic

I picked up three Black Eagle large dollar bills. They are very beat up, quite soiled and many folds, ect, ect. Very low grade stuff but the bills are intact..

One bill was obviously folded in half for many years as the left side of the bill is filthy and the right side is much cleaner.

Is it acceptable to dry erase currency? In this case, it can't hurt, but how about a bill that was in better shape, but slightly soiled?

BTW- I paid $70 for the three, and $65 for one that was in much better shape.

Is that around market value?

Repaired, Restored, and Doctored Notes - some notes have been washed, bleached, and pressed and no longer have their original surfaces. alterations to these notes may not be noted on a holder, but experienced collectors will notice that the note was cleaned. personnal i prefer that the note be left alone, there is a difference between professional repaired/restored notes and abuse. doing this would not be acceptable to me. same as cleaning a VF coin, to make it look like BU. may actually decrease its value.

I wouldn't do it. Honestly, if these are in any kind of resellable condition (and I am assuming they are); you may be better off sending them to PMG for grading then selling them and obtaining high grade notes. The problem I see is that once you try any form of cleaning on these notes (even dry erase) you risk losing the coveted EPQ moniker...

This will devalue your notes on today's market...

If you feel compelled to clean it, fill a bowl with distilled water and dawn dish soap. Let it soak a while then lightly rub it with your fingers until it is cleaned to your satisfaction, then rinse in distilled water and let it dry. You may want to try this with an ordinary note first to get the feel for it.