• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SURVEY - Ten Types Of Collectors - Which Kind Of Collector Are You?

Types Of Collectors  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Types Of Collectors

12 posts in this topic

hello fellow collectors.

there are many types of collectors/investors.

i did some searching on types and found this article By Aaron Albert

Ten Types Of Collectors - Which Kind Of Collector Are You?

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/collectingcomics/a/investcomics_2.htm

although it relates to comics, it could be referenced to any collector (currency/coins/comics/etc.)

below are the types listed in the article, i changed comics to currency so that it would apply to this survey.

you may select more than one if they apply to how you collect.

have fun.

==

The Investor = This type of collector views currency as one thing – money. They view their currency as stocks and a way to acquire wealth. Very little emotional ties are held to their currency. They buy, sell, and trade with ease with only one thing in mind – how much money they can make.

The Obsessive Collector = The obsessive collector will not rest until they have every issue of their favorite series. The currency are catalogued, indexed, with maybe even an excel file of missing issues and the condition and worth of current issues in their collection. They are protected well in bags and boards and held in the correct type of storage bins. To part with anything in their collection is very difficult and would take a large some of money, or something else they desire more.

The Quick Buck = This collector is mostly motivated by quick cash. They buy as many copies of an issue as they can, if they think they can sell it quickly at an inflated price. They are constantly scooping out what is the latest or hottest thing. If the price is right, they will quickly sell things from their collection.

The Inheritor = This person acquired their collection from a friend or relative. The collection is more of a hassle than a treasure. They wonder how they can get rid of the collection quickly and for how much.

The Curator = The Curator is the person who sees currency as art and to be valued and displayed as such. Their currency is to be seen, but treasured. Special steps are taken to protect their currency, even to the extent of special frames. Currency art is something that may become part of the collection as well. While they may look them from time to time, bare hands are out of the question. Don’t you know how much that is worth?

The Average Joe/Jane = This collector sees currency as a great, enjoyable, and fun hobby. While steps may be taken to protect their currency, they are often banished to basements, attics, and other undesirable places. The Average Joe collector loves both the story, and the thought that their currency are gaining in value. There is a strong emotional investment in their currency and the thought of parting with them is difficult. Dreams of owning that rare note or art are aplenty, but the money just isn’t there.

The Graphic Novelist Collector = The Graphic Novelist Collector is quickly becoming a popular lifestyle for many note lookers. Graphic Novels are generally cheaper than buying currency individually and one can look an entire story arc in one sitting. Although not worth as much as individual currency, the Graphic Novel collector is more concerned with a great look at a great price.

The Ebayer = Ebay has offered up a great source of currency to many collectors. The Ebayer is thrilled with the rush of the auction, watching the items they are selling or buying go up in price. The Ebayer is ecstatic when they get a good deal or an auction sells well. Looking is generally a part of this collectors life, but it may be unsure whether which is more important, the act of auctioning or looking a great currency.

The Part Timer = This collector comes in and out of collecting, often stopping and starting with different series. They are not attracted to any one series for long and their collection can be rather piecemeal. They hope that what they have is worth something though, and may just have that one rare issue, due to their currency hopping.

The Reader = This type of collector uses their floor as a currency storage bin. Sometimes they may have a currency rolled up and stashed in their back pocket. Tears, folds, and rips are meaningless. What truly matters is the story, the story man! Currency is for pleasure and not collected for profit.

I would have went with what is listed in the Coin Collector's Survival Manual. I consider myself a collector/investor. That is it. I enjoy what I collect, but am also concerned about their future value...

I would not buy something I don't believe has a chance to go up in value. This is true with everything I collect to art glass to PEZ to Legos to comics to coins to currency and more...

That being said you still have to like what you collect as there are a lot more easier ways to make money than investing in collectibles...

I answered Obsessive, when in reality, I would label it "determined, and frequently sidetracked". My collection is primarly Modern-Era 1963 thru current $1 Star notes in CH-CU or better condition, but it expanded into $2's, all of the BEP Premium/Collectors Series, Lucky Money, and then 4-subject sheets, ($1's - $20's), then Emergency Notes,and Courtesy Autographed notes, and Serial number 00000012 notes, and on and on.

I use many guides, and write and make check marks in all of them along with a computer file where all of the series/districts/serial numbers are recorded. I also hand write all the same information in a loose-leaf notebook, and have a seperate notebook with every reciept. All of the notes are then scanned and added to a PhotoBucket account. I handle and inspect, (LED flashlite) every note and sheet I recieve with notations written in the guide books and notebooks.

If there was an option to select "Anal", I probably would have chosen that.

I voted myself as:

The Obsessive Collector = The obsessive collector will not rest until they have every issue of their favorite series. The currency are catalogued, indexed, with maybe even an excel file of missing issues and the condition and worth of current issues in their collection. They are protected well in bags and boards and held in the correct type of storage bins. To part with anything in their collection is very difficult and would take a large some of money, or something else they desire more.

Fits me like a glove - lol

thanks everyone that took the survey.

looks like The Obsessive Collector and The Average Joe/Jane fits the majority of us here.

collecting currency is a great, enjoyable, and fun hobby