• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SURVEY - high grade, or having more notes

high grade, or having more notes  

69 members have voted

1. 1. high grade, or having more notes

13 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Currency Collectors

Here is another survey question.

If you had $10,000, what would you select as a collection?

The idea here is to see what people value more, high grade, or having more notes.

I’m sure there are many options, but try to only use the three below.

You can never go wrong with buying high grade items. In certain cases like coin and currency collecting, I am against diversification when it means collecting low grade items instead of investment grade items. For instance, to compliment my currency collection I would like to buy some high grade coins. I will be buying a FEW high grade investment keys rather than lots of low to medium grade coins. I do the same thing with currency and own some great items.

This being said, I only collect notes between 63-66 range with EPQ. I feel anything less is 'unworthy' (at least for me) and anything higher is just paying a premium for something that may or may not be there (i.e. a PMG 66 could be a PMG 67 on a good day and vice versa).

Therefore I voted for option one. Buy the high end note and be done with it. I LOVE all my high grade/high end notes. Some are literally irreplaceable...

I could purchase/collect 10 Top Pop notes for $10,000 in the area that I collect, so I didn't vote. Most to all of my collection, (99%) is uncirculated, and of that more than 75% is GEM raw, or graded 64 and above. If I ever start collecting Large-Size notes, then I would be happy with answer #2 , buying 10 medium grade notes for $1,000 each.

I'll take 10 AU50-AU58 notes over 1 high ticket note.

I pretty much collect large notes anyway. So having 10 different notes to admire is far better than looking at one high priced note.

I'm not collecting these notes as an investment as I feel collecting anything like coins/currency is a poor investment vehicle. I collect for the enjoyment of the hobby. The money I purchase coins/currency with is 'spare' money. I would never ever put any money ear marked for retirement in coins/currency.

thanks to those that have taken the survey so far, i usually get about 20-25 votes

per survey. the surveys are somewhat limited, so we can't compare other

size/type notes or it might get really complicated. try to keep a general open view

of the question. The idea here is to see what people value more, high grade, or

having more notes. the results should help in better understanding what collectors

here want when limited to a $10K budget.

I think what is evident to me here, and judging by the survey results I see happening; is that we must clarify in our response what kind of collector OR investor we are. For instance, I am a collector/investor; therefore, I am naturally going to gravitate toward high grade material more so than someone who just wants to put together a mid grade type set. I also don't mind utilizing some patience when buying notes I like.

I meet collectors all the time who spend massive amounts of money and go after quantity, not quality. That is fine and there is NO wrong way to collect. The problem will arise however, when that individual goes to sell or dispose of his or her collection. That is why sometimes the tortoise wins the race. I know what I am saying may be 'controversial' to some, but I have learned this in other collectible hobbies as well (i.e. coins and comic books).

This is why I advocate for two things: high grade collections and a collector/investor mentality.

This is ONLY my opinion. This is great survey though, I may add...

thanks everyone for taking the survey.

there really isn't a right/wrong answer.

but it shows that out of the collectors that took the survey.

most prefer Ten (10) medium grade notes worth $1,000 each

rather than having one or 100 notes with a $10K budget.

=

after reading the collector/investor comment, i decided to do another survey on

the Ten Types Of Collectors - Which Kind Of Collector Are You?

maybe we can figure out where we stand, compared to other collectors here.

thanks again.

Remember, there are some nuances here. As a collector and not an investor (other than I'd like to not spend hard earned money on worthless items), there are many different ways to do this. Personally, I could not see spending much more than face on any modern note, even with a cool serial number or astronomically high grade. I have bundles of new dollar bills and $2 bills that I essentially paid face for, maybe a few dollars over. I also have bundles of old circulated silver certs, FRNs, LTs, etc. also that I didn't pay much over face for. But if I was spending $10K, then dividing that among 10 notes seems very reasonable to me, though I guarantee none of those notes would have been issued after 1929!