• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I have any of these graded?

20 posts in this topic

I've had these for about 13 years and was wondering if they would be worth slabbing. I mostly collect comics and New Orleans Mint Morgans. Any advice would be great.

1923 Silver Certificate

1934 C Five dollar Silver Certificate

1935 A Hawaii Silver Certificate

103565.jpg.3014f771ff9cd282455a240efa500ce7.jpg

103566.jpg.b915947633ffc1d76bfb5696e506c094.jpg

103567.jpg.a9c32f937086ea2258f4a1887b8f507f.jpg

103568.jpg.f13dcdee55b6a5136f6c066e771cc2f7.jpg

I think you will always get two answers to your question Bob, "Yes you should" and "No don't bother", it depends on your valuation of someone else's opinion as to the quality of your notes, I personally don't subscribe to slabbing, I have what I have, I like what I have, the quality of what I have is self evident to anyone that is interested, but I have to say I am in what appears to be a shrinking minority, the third party graders have done a good job convincing collectors that being slabbed adds value, and it does to a certain extent, it means you can sell your notes to just about anyone knowledgable or not and get top dollar, like I say though, I would still prefer to purchase unslabbed notes at my own opinion of the condition and not pay the premium for what is really no more than someone else's opinion.....

You may well find the complete opposite view on this forum from what I have seen.

A lot of people in the comic book community feel the same way. I slab comics that I believe have a value and that I want to protect. I have more silver certificates these just seemed worth a bit more. And like comics I would hate to have something happen to piece that might have some value. I'm steering more to having the 1923 note slabbed because that's my favorite in my small collection. I was just trying to get the paper money collectors views on it.

here is someone else's opinion as to the quality of your notes.

i would estimate their grades/values to be - quick estimates:

max $200 = 1923 Silver Certificate (EF)

max $30 = 1934 C Five dollar Silver Certificate (EF)

max $150 = 1935 A Hawaii Silver Certificate (CU)

i'm not a professional grader. so PMG may have higher grades/value.

i have my currency slabbed for protection and third party grading,

personally i would not get them slabbed, there are already many available to collectors,

unless you really want to protect them, PMG holders are the best, even if you may not agree with the grading.

i used "CU" to simply mean circulated.

for reference, here is the grading scale.

PMG PAPER MONEY GRADING SCALE

http://www.pmgnotes.com/grading/grading-scale.asp

PMG uses a 70-point numerical scale derived from the Sheldon numerical scale. The following descriptions show how a note’s condition accords to the grades assigned by PMG.

As most all of you know, it is very difficult ot grade a note from a picture.

In looking at these notes, and since they appear to be pretty common notes, as well as they appear to be circulated, I would not grade them.

Take them to your regular dealer and have him/her give you their opinion.

Also, research these notes and see if you would be spending more to grade them than they are valued at.

Once again, I am hedging my opinion because it is nearly impossible to grade by pictures.

I agree with many of the sentiments above, the 1923 silver cert looks to be a nice EF, but clearly folded. These are probably the most common large size notes in existence, so for slabbing to really add value it needs to be a high grade note where 1 or 2 points difference makes it worth the slabbing fees.

GW's value estimates are very generous, as recently XF notes like yours graded at 45 are selling between $40 and $60, and in AU, these are selling for $80 to $120 (potentially an 18 point grade difference, so you can see there is a lot of room for error here). Slabbing also offers good protection for the note, so you don't need to worry about spilling coffee on it, or letting your child look at it with sticky fingers. The other consideration is that slabbing does ensure that the note is genuine, so if you went to sell it one day, no one could legitimately call it a counterfeit.

As for the small notes, I'll defer to those who know far more than me! Good luck whatever you decide.

Fr. 237 is the Friedberg number which is used for classifying all US issued notes. For the series 1923 $1 silver certificates, there are 3 varieties, the FR. 237, 238 and 239. The difference is in the signers of the note, Speelman-White is your note, the 237, the 238 is Woods-White, and the 239 is Woods-Tate if I remember correctly. The 239 is the least common of the three.

Fr. 237 is the Friedberg number which is used for classifying all US issued notes. For the series 1923 $1 silver certificates, there are 3 varieties, the FR. 237, 238 and 239. The difference is in the signers of the note, Speelman-White is your note, the 237, the 238 is Woods-White, and the 239 is Woods-Tate if I remember correctly. The 239 is the least common of the three.

Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

i used "CU" to simply mean circulated.

I have only ever seen CU used to refer to 'Choice Uncirculated' or 'Crisp Uncirculated'

But never for 'Circulated'

I have always assumed that anything less than AU is circulated, the difficulty arises when the note is uncirculated but poorly stored, then what do you call it?

Anybody have a preference or hints? (shrug)

If you must have slabbed notes you can buy them at all the usual places, dealers, shows, online auctions etc etc.

You won't get any better notes than you would if you learned the grading process yourself and purchased raw, but you will pay more, and with all the controversy surrounding TPG's you will just be buying a product that has someones opinion attached to it......take it out of the slab, give it to someone else and you will get a different opinion more often than not.

As you can tell, I am anti TPG's, but that is just my opinion.