• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1.00 Silver Certificates---100 Pack

11 posts in this topic

Hello to the forum.

Total newbie here, so thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

What I have is a 100 pack of $1 Silver Certificates. 1935 H

The little that I do know about paper money is that obviously condition is everything.

All of the serial numbers are in sequence, with the original band, and appear to me to be un-circulated. But from what I have been gathering here, my idea of un-circulated could be totally wrong.

Below is a scan of the first bill out of the pack. And the rest look the same.

From the research I have been doing, one of these bills in perfect shape might fetch around $10. Sound about right?

My question is, would they be worth more to sell as whole pack, small sets, or individually?

And finally, where would be the best place to sell them. I am very of leary of selling such an item on E-bay.

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

1silver100pack.jpg

Nice pack!

Your note has the slightly bumpy, orange-peel paper quality for that type of note, so your notes appear uncirculated.

Your notes are probably worth more as an intact pack. Also, to sell them separately takes too much time for the possible difference in value.

At the present time I would recommend sitting on the pack until prices improve.

Assuming the notes further into the pack have a bit better centering which could put them in the GEM status, the notes sell between $15-20 RAW and if graded GEM by PMG, they start selling at $35.00+ depending on the grade they come back as 65, 66, 67, etc.

If the centering does NOT get better, I would sell them as a complete PACK. You will get a much better deal NOT BROKE apart.

If you have the funds - send the pack in to PMG under a sequence batch submission @ $12 a note (minimum 50). You could sell them ad hoc as note prices pick up or if you score some 66 or 67's.

Just a thought.

I like this idea, if the notes are nice, fresh, and well margined you could receive some higher grades and it protects the notes. It's pretty easy to ding the whole corner of an entire pack and really hurt the value. It happened to me several times with packs of world notes back in my dealing days.

Thanks to everyone for the informatiuon and comments.

Obviously I am a newbie to this, so please bear with me.

So if I send them in to PMG it would cost me $1200.00 to have them graded, correct?

And then if they graded "GEM" I might be able to get up to $35.00 per bill?

And I am assuming "RAW" that was mentioned is un-graded, and I might be able get up to $15 per note?

Thanks again, and sorry for the newbie/basic questions.

So if I send them in to PMG it would cost me $1200.00 to have them graded, correct?

- Yes, (50 Notes Minimum) consecutive, it's $12.00 per note so $1200.00 total.

And then if they graded "GEM" I might be able to get up to $35.00 per bill?

- Yes, but there is a WIDE range of values depending on the grade that comes back. I have seen them sell for $20-$25 in a 65 grade, $40-$50 in a 66/67 and all the way up to $100-$200+ for a 68/69 grade. It all depends on the paper quality of the notes and the grade that comes back.

And I am assuming "RAW" that was mentioned is un-graded, and I might be able get up to $15 per note?

- Yes, but based on the paper quality and centering I have seen these go between $15-$30 each.

Here are a couple of examples from the 1935H series that I purchased:

1935H-$1-DJ.jpg

1935H-$1-EJ.jpg

Q: would they be worth more to sell as whole pack, small sets, or individually?

- whole pack - the pack of 100, should be valued around $900-$1,500

- small sets - 10 consecutive notes, should be valued around $115-$160 each

- individually - $12 (unc) - $47 (grade 67) - $172 (grade 68)

personally i would maybe get 5-10 of them graded to see what they come out as, then sell the others as groups of 10 consecutive notes.

- 9 sets of 10 consecutive notes, should be valued around $115 each

9 sets times $115 each = $1,035

- individually, should be valued around $25

$10 each + $15 grade = 10 times $25 = $250

therefore: $1,035 + $250 = $1,285 minus the shipping/handling/etc (est 19*$5 = $95) = $1,190 sold value

My Ans:

$1,190 minus the cost to purchase the 100 pack = profit $$$.

hopefully you didn't spend more then $1,190 for the pack.

hope this helps.

Q: would they be worth more to sell as whole pack, small sets, or individually?

- whole pack - the pack of 100, should be valued around $900-$1,500

- small sets - 10 consecutive notes, should be valued around $115-$160 each

- individually - $12 (unc) - $47 (grade 67) - $172 (grade 68)

personally i would maybe get 5-10 of them graded to see what they come out as, then sell the others as groups of 10 consecutive notes.

- 9 sets of 10 consecutive notes, should be valued around $115 each

9 sets times $115 each = $1,035

- individually, should be valued around $25

$10 each + $15 grade = 10 times $25 = $250

therefore: $1,035 + $250 = $1,285 minus the shipping/handling/etc (est 19*$5 = $95) = $1,190 sold value

My Ans:

$1,190 minus the cost to purchase the 100 pack = profit $$$.

hopefully you didn't spend more then $1,190 for the pack.

hope this helps.

At $25 each from 5 - 49 notes (I would only send in 5 @ that cost). One downside is if you send in a selected group you could mess up the sequence submittal option unless you take the first or last five off the stack and send them in. The top or bottom 5 may not be a good representation of the rest of the stack in my experience with stacks.

GW - great cost breakdown and gain based on your numbers.

My opinion is unless the notes are near perfectly centered, it is not worthwhile to get them graded. Notes grading 64 or 65 will not have much of a premium over nicely centered raw notes.

If the first note pictured above is representative of the rest of the pack, I think the note would only grade 65 due to the high centering.