• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004a Atlanta $10 Star

15 posts in this topic

2004a $10 Atlanta Star Notes

Apologies if this has been covered before......

Can anyone shed any light on the 'Actual' story behind these notes? Not conjecture or hearsay but fact. There were 9600 printed in sheets of 16, that seems to be so, does anyone know why so few were done? and I see some folks claiming that some were also destroyed 1500 or so, is this true? how did it happen? what were the serial numbers of those destroyed? where did it occur etc? And is this the lowest run ever by the BEP?

Thanks GW,

I look forward to receiving any info' I can get, just as long as it's factual like I said.

I have seen lots of listing on eBay where it is claimed that 1500 or so were destroyed, but never with any evidence to back it up.......I'm hoping someone, somewhere, will know the full story...I never thought to write to the BEP (good idea) but seeing as you have, I won't duplicate your request to them, I'll simply await your response.

Regards....

Banker, Jamie is correct that the "Accepted" reason for the 9600 was human error. The BEP will not confirm this of course since it would in fact make them look bad. I really don't think we will ever know the reason for "WHY".

However, as for the destruction. Not all of the first 1500 were destroyed.

#1 thru #100 were held by the BEP until after the distribution in Atlanta, Denver, and Long Beach. When BEP inventoried, at that time, they discovered that #5 and #100 were, in fact, sold (not destroyed, but rather had been taken to one of the shows mentioned and sold...)...

After the credit card problems on the Texas Coin and Currency promotion, the BEP decided to destroy the remaining 98 notes of that series.

#5, #100, and #101-9600 are all out in collectors hands

I know a dealer that has seen the #5 note, and has also viewed most of the notes of that series, including #9600 (still in sheet).

Hope this helps answers your question.

Edited by TheRock

scan0219.jpg

Thanks John.

I have heard most of that before at various sites and currency forums on line, except the #5 and #100 NOT being destroyed. The notes are not as expensive as you think they might be considering how low the print run was. The reason has been explained to me as ALL of the notes went straight to collectors, compared to a typical 320,000 or 640,000 short print run being distributed into general population, and thus finding them uncirculated somewhat more unlikely.

However, as for the destruction. Not all of the first 1500 were destroyed.

#1 thru #100 were held by the BEP until after the distribution in Atlanta, Denver, and Long Beach. When BEP inventoried, at that time, they discovered that #5 and #100 were, in fact, sold (not destroyed, but rather had been taken to one of the shows mentioned and sold...)...

After the credit card problems on the Texas Coin and Currency promotion, the BEP decided to destroy the remaining 98 notes of that series.

#5, #100, and #101-9600 are all out in collectors hands

Thanks (Once again) for your input Rock, I'm still a bit confused though, they were printed in sheets of 32 I guess as are all US notes, is that correct? So what format did they leave the BEP? Single notes? sheets of 4? 8? 16? or all of the above? I find it incredible that if they were selling them at a show they only sold two notes №s 5 & 100 ...Wouldn't all the single digit and low № notes sell out fast if they were indeed on offer, or was some skullduggery involved do you think? And they were sold underhand to "friends" And why do you think the BEP would simply want to destroy 1-4 and 6-99 ? what would be the reasoning behind that d'ya think? They must have known they were sitting on collectables......

All very mysterious, and incredibly interesting.

Another thing I was wondering was how many do you think have been 'chopped' into singles by dealers who managed to get sheets....Or like I said, did a quantity come out of the BEP as singles?

Just in case you're wondering why I have an interest, well it's because I have 5 of them (1 single and a 4 sheet) I intend to leave them for my grandson and I would dearly like to leave the story behind them along with the notes, hopefully they may be worth something to him when he is older......For the record my notes are №s 7272-7572-7872-8172 on the sheet and 4928 is the single.

But then again...If the story is never fully revealed it may just add something to the 'Mystique'

I'm still a bit confused though, they were printed in sheets of 32 I guess as are all US notes, is that correct? So what format did they leave the BEP? Single notes? sheets of 4? 8? 16? or all of the above?

You are correct, all the current BEP produced notes are originally printed in 32-Subject sheets. The 2004A $10 FRN's were brought to shows and sold as 4-Subject and 16-Subject sheets (Cut at the BEP). No 8's or 32's were sold.

And why do you think the BEP would simply want to destroy 1-4 and 6-99 ? what would be the reasoning behind that d'ya think? They must have known they were sitting on collectables......

The BEP does not really care about the issue of collectables, they are there to make money. The reason for the destruction was they were NOT suppose to make it out of the BEP.

Another thing I was wondering was how many do you think have been 'chopped' into singles by dealers who managed to get sheets....Or like I said, did a quantity come out of the BEP as singles?

It is speculated that no more than 20 or so 16-Subject sheets remain in tact. No one really knows on the 4-Subject sheets since so many were cut up and sold as singles from people trying to make a buck. I still have my original 16-Subject sheet and (3) 4-Subject sheets that were purchased at the Atlanta show. They are also for my (4) boys.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TheRock

Banker

FYI - BEP recived the message and they will research answers to your questions and provide a response. BEP Public Sales Program - Pittman Storkey (BEP)

i have two of these notes that i bought for under $200 each, just need to send them off to PMG to be graded/encased.

take care

Thanks Rock,

The more info' the better, I'm still confused (or dumb) though......If they were offered at shows in 4 and 16 subject sheets why is it that only №s 5 and 100 are ever mentioned? surely they have to be (or were) attached to other notes, therefore other low numbers would exist wouldn't they....??

I wonder how difficult it would prove to be to make a register of all known notes in this issue....Be interesting wouldn't it? Me you and GW could kick it off....That's 35 of them accounted for straight off the bat.

Regards...

When determining the "value" of a note that is considered collectible, does, how many times over face value, (example A, a $2 note sold for $50 would be 25 times face value) , or a dollar amount over face value, (example B, a $2 note sold for $50 would be $48 over face value) when it comes to comparing notes of different denominations. Lets say we try to compare a Milennium Note (Series 1995 $2 note serial A2000XXXX*) that sells for $50, and a Series 2004A $10 Atlanta Star note that sells for $200. The $2 notes is selling for 25 times face value and the $10 note is selling for 20 times face value. Would the $2 note be considered MORE collectible, or the $10 note? Or does the typical collector look at how much money over face value the difference is? In that case, with the $10 note selling for $190 over face value ($200-$10) would be more collectible.

The Milennium notes had print runs of 9,999 per district, but collectors didn't go as "nuts' for these as they went for the 2004A $10 Atlanta Star. Could it have been that the Milennium notes has 9,999 in each print run, BUT with 12 different districts ?

Edited by Steve in Tampa

The more info' the better, I'm still confused (or dumb) though......If they were offered at shows in 4 and 16 subject sheets why is it that only №s 5 and 100 are ever mentioned? surely they have to be (or were) attached to other notes, therefore other low numbers would exist wouldn't they....??

Banker, you are correct. The #5 & #100 notes are still a part of a UNCUT sheet from what I'm told. I do not know if the (2) sheets are 4-Subject or 16-Subject sheets though. So, yes there would be both lower & higher numbers if in fact the sheets are NOT cut.

If the first 100 except 5 and 100 were destroyed how did my friend get his hands on the #7 bill?? Interesting!!!! My two sheets are going back in the safe! The #7 bill was sold 12 years ago.

Screenshot_20211110-190503_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20211110-190242_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20211110-190711_Messages.jpg

Edited by Tonyk.
Missing information