• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secure Storage of PMG graded notes and graded coins...

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a general question regarding the long term storage of BOTH PMG graded notes and NGC (or PCGS) graded coins. Is it safe to store both types of collectibles in the same fire proof safe? I was told that the metal from the coins may interact with the paper in the currency? Is this true?

All my items I will be storing are 'slabbed' if this helps, but I am wondering about long term storage?

Any thoughts?

I thank you for your time!

my comments - storing them together in a fire safe protected in NGC/PMG holders should not damage the notes/coins. from what i could find on the internet light/humidity/heat/chemicals/etc. will do the most harm to your collection.

NCS may have some ideas on Conservation/storage.

http://www.ncscoin.com/index.asp

hope this helps.

from an article on the internet

- Storing and displaying your coins, tokens and notes

Protect your coins and paper money from high humidity and heat. Store them in a cool and dry place. Although some people keep their coins and bank notes in the attic or in the basement, these are not good storage spaces. The high temperatures sometimes found in attics lead to the deterioration of bank notes. Basements are often too humid and this can lead to the development of mould on paper and corrosion on metal coins and tokens.

Display your collection away from direct sunlight. Exposure to sunlight can cause a note's ink to fade while the paper itself can deteriorate and become brittle.

Ensure that all material used for storing and displaying your notes and coins are PVC-free and acid-free. Otherwise your storage materials may actually be contributing to the deterioration of your collection.