• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now seems like a good time to buy...

9 posts in this topic

I must admit; I really enjoy collecting currency. This is especially true of high grade US currency. Lately I have been amazed at the market, as it seems to be a good time to buy due to the state of the economy, etc.

I also collect comic books and can tell you that comic books seeme to have there fair share of major price 'inconsistencies' (for lack of a better word).

Currency, right now, seems to be fairly priced and looks to have the potential to increase in value over the long term horizon. Either way, it is a win-win situation. Anyone else feel the same way or am I comparing 'apples to oranges' with my analysis of the graded comic book market. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again guys!

I agree Mintcollector, on both counts, it's very enjoyable and also a good time to buy, only advice I would give (and it's never changed) is this.....Buy what you really like, and buy the best you can afford, that way if they happen to go down in value you still own something that gives you pleasure.

I agree Mintcollector, on both counts, it's very enjoyable and also a good time to buy, only advice I would give (and it's never changed) is this.....Buy what you really like, and buy the best you can afford, that way if they happen to go down in value you still own something that gives you pleasure.

:applause:

Great advice...I tend to have the same outlook.

I also collect comic books and can tell you that comic books seeme to have there fair share of major price 'inconsistencies' (for lack of a better word).

I happen to be pals with a couple of Comic Cartoonists/Publishers ...Phil Yeh and 5 times Emmy winner Phil Ortiz so if you ever want one of their offerings signed and dedicated, just let me know.....If you're not familiar with their work 'Google' them, you can always PM me if you're interested.

I think all (coin/currency/etc.) prices have come down over the last 4 years.

But I haven't seen the data that confirms the currency price trends (index)

As an example pcgs has a rare coin index

Maybe pmg or track and price can do something for a rare currency index.

For reference:

Key Dates and Rarities Index (1970 to date)

http://www.pcgs.com/coinindex/keysallgraph.chtml

http://www.pcgs.com/coinindex/keys5graph.chtml

Key Dates and Rarities Index

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=coinindex&filename=index

i also wanted to say, that as we know, coins have a metal value (gold/silver),

while currency/comics do not, about 10 years ago when i first started buying gold

coins, the dealer said the gold coins were directly linked to the price of gold. they

were not Rare coins, but my gold coins have gone up in value, mostly because of

the gold market. it gave me a good reason to stop buying gold coins and switch to

currency, gold is very high right now.

collecting currency at reasonable prices is bringing me the most enjoyment.

You got me interested in proving that prices have come down.

I collected that data for a fr.1600, only able to get prices from 01/26/2006 to

08/03/2010 (about 170) and graphed them. It shows for this note the overall price

has dropped from around $120 to $100. Of course this is not a rare note, but

proves that its price has dropped. I doubt it will drop in price much more. So

buying now might be a good time. Take care

102387.jpg.081f994706c006c2621ddd6cf602f6a8.jpg