• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking at grading Standards posted by Sportyperson

3 posts in this topic

Recently I started to look at what PCGS claimed are part of their standards to try to grade some of my circulated bills.

Recently I started to look at what PCGS claimed are part of their standards to try to grade some of my circulated bills. So I tried to put them in an excel file to make more sense of them. I also added some of my own to help clarify some other gradings. Instead of just a PPQ or EPQ, I added a whole line of crispness that folled their grading system. I added the following; Limp, Heavy wear, Solid, About crisp, Strong crisp, Choice crisp, Very choice crisp, Gem crisp, Superb gem crisp, Perfect gem crisp. Do these sound good, or too many, or what? I tried to upload a copy, but it is too big.

See more journals by Sportyperson

Interesting - more detail on the EPQ. so you "added the following; Limp, Heavy wear, Solid, About crisp, Strong crisp, Choice crisp, Very choice crisp, Gem crisp, Superb gem crisp, Perfect gem crisp.

Do these sound good, or too many, or what?"

=

my comments: I think its too many, it’s subjective. There has to be some objective science behind the grading the EPQ. A crisp note may only be crisp because it was processed (physically, chemically, or materially processed, pressed, etc.) I think you would need more that just personal touch/bend to grade different levels of EPQ. the paper is made of a special blend of cotton and linen fibers, not sure how you could test the paper, and if that much detail on EPQ would matter to a collector. EPQ is important, but there are probally other factors (color, condition, serial number, grade, etc.) that would make a collector pay more for a note.

When you go through PCGS's standards, Fine 12 states "limp classifies lower". G6 states "Heavy wear". VF30 states "Strong Crispness". This is where I got the different categories. I agree, They seem too many, but I didn't just think these up, but some of them do seem logical. Thanx for your thoughts.