• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EPQ...or not?

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to this wonderful hobby and I have a quick question that maybe an experienced collector could answer for me. I bought a PMG 64 1928 $1 Silver Certificate off of eBay. I love the note and I kind of got into a small bidding war over it. It was the first note I purchased. Since then I bought several more; however this is the only note in my collection without the EPQ designation.

Therefore my question is this: do collectors covet the EPQ designation? Does it make this note (again a 1928 silver cetificate) worth less? Should I upgrade to a EPQ note or not bother? If anyone can help, let me know. I collect for investment and for fun (and of course the love of the hobby). I am just wondering if I should buy another note with the EPQ designation instead. Would you 'upgrade' if it was your note? Thanks for your help and I appreciate your time.

Shawn

hello, heres my commnets:

do collectors covet the EPQ designation? - EPQ is prefered.

Does it make this note (again a 1928 silver cetificate) worth less? - not to me

Should I upgrade to a EPQ note or not bother? - maybe for a good price

Would you 'upgrade' if it was your note? - only if i can find a good price.

for me, i'm collecting currency the way i collect coins, get one of each then upgrade, unfortueatly some upgrades can be very expensive and i prefer to complete my collections. watch your budget.

from what i have seen - rare and high grade notes seem to be the ones that increase and decrese in value the fastest .

have fun.

I agree with GW's comments, but also you should know that all notes graded by PMG at 65 or above must have the EPQ designation. So realistically, it's only those under 65 where this would make a difference. I have a few notes that fall into this category, with a 64 EPQ, a 63 EPQ, a 55 EPQ and even a 45 EPQ. So for those lower graded notes it might make a small difference, but I haven't really seen much pricing data to prove it.

I don't buy the holder. I look at he contents and judge for myself. I envision that the large volume auction houses submit the notes with their target grade which certainly helps

expedite a 4,000 note drop which has to be holdered. Mistakes can be made under that kind of pressure, so its up to the buyer to accept or reject what he sees. After handling a few dozen accurately graded notes, you can pretty much tell what you're looking at.

I thank everyone for commenting on this and I am still 'stuck on this issue;' as I have no idea what to compare it to in regards to other collecting interests.

I see now that NGC is going to be using a 'plus' designation on their coins as well. Does this mean that items without a "EPQ" or a "Plus" designation are going to be worth less than items in similar condition without these designations?

I know in the comic book world they have something called page quality, but even that is not regarded as the be all end all status quo. Maybe I am looking at this all wrong, but this is the only NOTE in my collection that isn't an EPQ and it bothers me. lol!

Does this mean that items without a "EPQ" or a "Plus" designation are going to be worth less than items in similar condition without these designations?

YES

I'm the same; it would bug me too, if I can upgrade, I'll do it, as long as the cost is not prohibitive. If I was not building my collection with the best I can get, then it would not bother me.