• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austrian notgeld notes info ? posted by sky coins

5 posts in this topic

anyone else collect these?

Hi collectors,I am new to buying notes but not coins.I just purchased an 8 note lot of notgeld notes from Austria that are in fantastic condition.I have some unc notgeld coins but was wondering if there is any kind of collectable market for these ? Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks, sky coins.

AUSTRIA NOTGELD

I think I have some in my collection that I bought about 30 yrs ago. But I’m not a big collector of world currency. I can't tell what is real or not, that’s why I stopped collecting old world currency, unless I can get them at the bank. I found an interesting website that has some photos.

http://aes.iupui.edu/rwise/countries/notgeld.html

http://www.theibns.org/

This may help with your collection to see what they have. Or maybe contact the reference on the website for more information.

From what I know there is not a big collectable market for these.

But people collect what is interesting to them.

I sold a fairly massive collection of German and Austrian notgeld notes on eBay a few years ago for a friend and while the German notes all found new homes there was very little interest in the Austrian.

My favorite two notes from the batch, printed on the reverse of a catalog.....

toy-1x.jpg

toy-2x.jpg

And a note from the company that later became Mercedes Benz...

benz-1x.jpg

benz-2x.jpg

The notes from Liechtenstein are quite collectible. They are the only pieces of paper one can get from that country. Which even today uses the Swiss Franc over the Euro.

Some notgeld can be quite interesting, I particularly like the German notgeld depicting Goethe's play "Faust".

Many Austrian and German issues one could spend a lifetime trying to put a full set together and still probably fall short.