• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help I need some help posted by amarillo

5 posts in this topic

I have a question about the new 2009 one dollars note's.

To day I received my sheet of the new 2009's one dollars note's, and I was looking over the sheet and I notice that the front plate number is smaller then the plate number on the back side. My question is with the plate number being smaller on the front would this be a mule set of note's. I kwow that if the back plate number on the back are smeller the plate number on the front this is call a mule note. if you can help please do so. thank you for your help. Don

interesting, i didn't even notice it on my new 2009 one dollar sheet.

you are correct - A small-size mule is a note that has a micro plate number on one side and a macro plate number on the other.

since you are the first to see this, not sure what else to say.

thanks for sharing and seeing this detail/variety.

This is an older thread so I'm a bit surprised there has not been any more discussion as to what a mule is, or what is not a mule.

The most commonly known definition of a mule is "the offspring of a donkey and a horse". In numismatics we've used the term mule for the mating of two similar but different items; for paper currency a mule is a note that has the front of one series and the back of another series. So a mule is not just a note with different size plate numbers on the front vs the back.

The mules we see the most of do happen to be ones with different size front and back plate numbers on series 1934 and 1934A series. The only reason for the change to 1934A was a change in the plate numbers size. 1934 had "micro" small plate numbers and when the BEP went to change the size to "macro" larger sized numbers it was decided to bump the series number up to 1934A.

In this case the different size in plate numbers are true mules; the micro numbers are 1934 series and the macro numbers are 1934A series. You can think of the 1934 plates as donkeys and 1934A plates as horses, put them together and you have a mule.

The key to mules is having two different series on one note; not just different size plate numbers. Today I do not believe we can look at near current or current series notes for different size plate numbers and call them mules. There are different size plate numbers for notes printed at FW vs Washington, and SOI notes but I think they are the same series which would make these non-mules.

I'm not 100% sure these are the same series plates with different size plate numbers so if anyone out there does know for sure please add to this. I'd like to know for sure about the more current series.