• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confederate Note Assistance

8 posts in this topic

I have three 1864 Confederate Notes, a $5, $10 and $20 that I would like some help in proper identification, classification, condition opinion, etc. so that I can try to determine their estimated value.

Thanks,

Rey

ConfederateNotesObv.jpg

ConfererateNotesRev.jpg

Rey,

Hi

I have access to a couple books on Confederate Currency and would be glad to help if I can. I just had carpel tunnel surgery tuesday an am typing left handed but am right handed so excuse my writing..

do they have the pics of the Tennesse Capital with a reddish background on the front and twenty spelled out in blue on the back a T-67, the ten also has a reddish front and blue Ten on the back with horses pulling a cannon a T-68 and the five has a reddish front with a blueish Five on the back with the state capitol at Richmond VA pic on the front a T-69? Next is to figure out thier variety which mainly has to do with any series number and/or letters on the front of the bills. Thats all for now my hand is telling me it's time for another pill... Jim

Rey

Hi again,

The 20.00 note is first distinguished by the number of flourishes over the ICA of America

in CSA either one or two lines, if one line over ICA then look for either three or no flourishes over "THE" above Confederate in CSA. Then by the series number and letter. The series number will be parallel with the word twenty on the front of the note (hope this makes sense).

The ten dollar note is about the same layout with the series letters at the top front of the note. The five should have the series on the front right side next to the number 5 and the letters next to the series and on the left front side just left of the word Richmond.

If you can let me know what the series and letter() are I can tell you what the general description is for grading the bills. i.e. V.G. The note is limp, complete with no missing pieces may have many small tears on the edge

Jim

Rey,

Hi,

The other thing to look at along with the condition of the note is if it is complete with a hand written serial number and signature and any cuts or cancellation marks. Price estimates for a T-67 $20.00 with a rarity of 1 ( 1-5 with 5 being the rarest) T-67 would be Good - $20.00, Unc. - $70.00, T-68 $10.00 Rarity-1 Good - $20.00 Unc. $55.00 and the T-69 $5.00 Rarity-1 Good - $20.00, Unc. $60.00. A Good Note is very worn, mostly complete, mostly soiled with missing small pieces. Unc. has no folds looks like it was just printed. There are a couple varieties in the $20.00 and $10.00 notes that are extremely rare and bring a premium.

Once again I hope this helps in some way..

Jim

Jim,

Thank you very much for your replies and information/assistance. I am currently away from home for awhile and will have to look at the bills closely when I return home. I will keep in touch and will answer your questions noted above.

Thanks again,

Rey

Fantastic, thank you again. I also just found a book at my folk's house titled Confederate and Southern States Currency by Grover Crisswell. It is dated 1964 but it contains pictures and detailed descriptions as well. This is apparently the book my father used as a reference. I will check out the website this evening though, sounds like a good current resource for what I need.

Thanks,

Rey

Jim,

I have gone over these three Confederate Notes and here is what I have come up with FYI, thanks for your help.

$5 - T-69 C No Series

$10 - T-68 F Series 2

$20 - T-67 D Series 2

Also looked at the site you provided and obtained some good estimates of value.

Thanks,

Rey