• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the currency graders?

16 posts in this topic

I am not a currency collector, but I am looking for something specific to add to period collection. Although this is not a big investment, I want to be careful. I've read the stories about CGA and do not want to overpay for over graded currency. I have seen notes graded by PMG and PCGS Currency, whom I am familiar with, but I found one that looked really nice graded by United States Grading Company. Are they reputable? If they say the note is "Gem Uncirculated 65" can that be considered accurate--or close to accurate (inconsistencies not withstanding)?

THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

i have talked with the graders and seen notes graded by pmg and pcgs

they are in my opinion the best out there with pcgs a close second

pmg---- they got a much older experienced team of graders with like 25-30+ years experience each of really top notch long time respected former currency dealers now working for and grading at pmg

and also they are really tight graders

on their notes at pmg as compaired to pcgs

from my own personal experience with pmg and pcgs notes there is a slightly more market acceptance for pmg over pcgs

but they are both close

with pmg being first followed by pcgs a close second

you hit the nail on the head vcavo thumbsup2.gif

also if you know anything about sword in hand notes or wish to comment please see my thread on as such

anything or any information would be welcome and positive for me on this thread

thanks in advance thumbsup2.gif

i cant find another thread i started but i guess it went bye bye to the happy hunting ground in the sky hi.gif

well must be some powerful connections somewhere

ah well such is life

I'm new to Currency Collecting and I started out with other grading companies.

but after attending a few H\A auction at a few FUN Show's and tabulating the going final sales of various graded notes that I had bid on and lost..... my market research clearly reflects that PMG graded notes do indeed bring to the closing hammer a few more $$$ for the seller.

I have read the various rantings and ravings on ebay, I've walked the FUN floor and listened to people say this and say that, but I can tell from my experience, My PMG graded notes have always have high interest in an auction, and I realized higher prices than copared to that exact same note in another folder.

Just for the record, I am not an employee of PMG - I am a new collector that seems to afford PMG 58 EPQ notes. That is why I selected this name. yay.gif

I'm new to Currency Collecting and I started out with other grading companies.

but after attending a few H\A auction at a few FUN Show's and tabulating the going final sales of various graded notes that I had bid on and lost..... my market research clearly reflects that PMG graded notes do indeed bring to the closing hammer a few more $$$ for the seller.

I have read the various rantings and ravings on ebay, I've walked the FUN floor and listened to people say this and say that, but I can tell from my experience, My PMG graded notes have always have high interest in an auction, and I realized higher prices than copared to that exact same note in another folder.

Just for the record, I am not an employee of PMG - I am a new collector that seems to afford PMG 58 EPQ notes. That is why I selected this name. yay.gif

as to the above ditto same with my experiences thumbsup2.gif

I am not sure of the other grading companies , but I do know of PMG . All of my graded notes are in PMG holders.

I can only say from personal experience that being able to speak with Glen Jorde in person and having him personnally assist me during a busy FUN show was most inspiring and very interesting . Glen handled my notes as though they were the his own . When I hand my possessions over to someone to inspect , I watch for the little things like how they handle and examine the items , what they say in their comments and how they treat me as an individual person .

I am small beans in the note collecting arena , as I have only begun to explore this interesting and very artistic avenue of collecting "pocket art" . With that said , I felt that I was not only treated fairly , but almost "down-home" like ....really down-to-Earth and conversationally versus being talked down to and treated like a nuisance ( as was the case during a visit to another note grading company's booth).

It might not matter in the arena of "what's the grades " , but in the arena of what company I want to do business with....it matters all the world to me to be able to feel like I'm important enough to be treated the same as anyone with a famous name or high dollar big time notes . Glen imparted some helpful ideas and set me in the right direction on where to find reference reading material....man , you can't buy customer service like that these days.