• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many People Actively Participate on This Board?

14 posts in this topic

I would say you are right and it is unfortunate. PMG has the best product and service IMO but nobody seems to care?!? Maybe there just aren't many currency collectors out there or maybe they are just very different than coin collectors and don't feel the need to "share" their collections or experiences?

I agree with Boiler, however part of the issue is that I think we are still in the early stages of the evolution of certified note collecting. Only a small minority of my notes are certified, and I think that's probably true of most collectors. Remember when PCGS and NGC were new and we thought, why would I ever certify a coin from the 20th century? When almost all coins were traded raw? Well currency will likely evolve the same way coins did, and as that evolution occurs, we will see more activity in places like this and across the street.

Well stated Jeff. I think all are right as to the amount of currency collectors. I'm not really sure of how much currency grading is advertised also. As far as I know, there aren't many out there. Coins seem to be a lot more accessible to collect than currency also. IMHO

Can the currency collecting market be compared to the stamp collecting market? Is it true that stamp collectors generally shun TPGs?

I also get the impression that net graded "problem" currency is a lot more prevalent (and seems to be standard practice?) in top TPG holders than net graded "problem" coins. This impression makes me more cautious of the TPG currency market.

Hi, EastCoastCurrency

You know I have been mulling it over in my mind since you posted this thread! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is the answer to increase participation on the currency board!

Perhaps all those anonymous persons need to sign up, it is free everyone!

Just post any new additions to ones paper currency collection, anything new or old. I will increase my posts here.

Let us all be positive and cease posting negative threads about how dead it is here, how about it people?

AAJ

Count me in as a new member to currency posting. I look forward to sharing info and experiences related to currency collecting. In the meantime, perhaps someone out there can help me with a recent acquisition. I am seeking to know the value and pedigree of several obsolete notes that I recently acquired. They are three notes from The International Bank of Portland, Maine....... a $1, $2 and $3 note in gem uncirculated condition. I usually don't collect obsoletes, but these were too nice to pass-up. I would really appreciate any info from anyone knowledgeble in obsoletes. Thanks.

Welcome to the board MartinAllen! Unfortunately I am not knowledgable on obsoletes, but there are a few members who are. Perhaps you should post your question in it's own thread.

I glance occasionally to see the notes posted. I'm not a collector of notes myself, but I like looking at the different ones that get posted every now and then. Just because there may be a lack of participants, is no reason for anyone to give up on these paper threads. The notes are still interesting to look at!! thumbsup2.gif