• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

23 posts in this topic

I was at a local show today, and one of the dealers I know had several short runs of consecutive series 1923 silver certs. No big deal right? He had one run of three and a couple runs of 2. Well, one of the runs of 2 have two different signature combinations!!! The first one was a Speelman-White, and the next one was a Woods-White. Is this possible? Is this some freakish rarity? How was this possible? popcorn.gif

Zach, on large size notes, there could be many signature changes all with the same series year. It wasn't until the small size notes where they changed the series year or added a letter with the signature changes. According to Paper Money Values site, there were three different signature combinations for Series 1923 $1 silver certs, Speelman-White, Woods-White and Woods-Tate.

Sort of, I suppose it's possible, so then the question is, how rare is it to have two consecutive notes where the signatures were changed?

Yes, they were $160, and he didn't notice till I asked him if all the signatures were the same. If he has them at the show next week I think I'll buy them.

I don't think he would mark them up, but there was a note dealer at the next table who heard about it, so the odd of them being there next week are slim!

See, I knew I wasn't delusional. I called PMG and they can put both notes into a special custom holder for an extra $50 fee, so now I need to decide whether to do that (I am leaning towards that since then I won't have to worry about them getting separated).

Well, I have a coupon for one free submission, so net it'll cost me about the same but I'll get a custom multi-holder! And no problem Conder, I'll send you photos when it arrives but it probably won't be for a month or so.

I love this ! Absolutely GREAT ! acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Interesting post , please feel free to post the post-slab pic of the multi-holdered set in the PMG holder here too.

My honey read and ran to her secret money pit lair to go through some of her notes for anything like these insane.gif....me thinks I'll hafta get her a currency book for her birthday so she can find out about things like this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I don't have them back yet, but I did a cert lookup and the grades were posted! The FR 237 (Speelman-White) was graded 64 EPQ and the FR 238 (Woods-White) was graded 63 EPQ, so not bad! I called last week and reminded Moon about the custom holder request, so hopefully they didn't forget about it! I will post photos when they come back.