• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mass. colonial sword in hand notes by paul revere!! assistance please

12 posts in this topic

any information about them??

websites about them?? and please not the notre dame site

anyone collect them?

their rarity ??

waht are the scracer types and waht conditions are they found in??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

any information about them??

websites about them?? and please not the notre dame site

anyone collect them?

their rarity ??

waht are the scracer types and waht conditions are they found in??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi Michael,

Just the Sword in Hand issues? Revere did others (i.e. Codfish, Rising Sun). The Sword in Hand type is the most popular though, as it symbolized the American sentiment of "we want peace and freedom, and we will fight to the death to achieve it". These notes were issued in many denominations from 1775 through 1776 by the Colonly of Massachusetts Bay. They are all "scarce", but the rare ones are the later issues of 9/17/1776 and 11/17/1776. I mean RARE. The more affordable examples are the notes that have the small obverse vignette of the patriot holding a sword. These are available for a few hundred dollars and up. Most Sword in Hand notes are low grade. You will quickly get deep into the thousands of dollars for a nice example.

As for references, I suggest Eric Newmans monumental work on the subject: The Early Paper Money of America. There's a new edition out, but I have owned all of the older issues of this 400+ page book and the historical and technical information is basically the same. Only the values have changed. The book has always understated the values, imho. For more information on the Sword in Hand issues, try the May, 2005 Stack's sale of the Ford collection. Ford has some mind-blowing examples of Sword in Hand notes.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Dennis

no this is not a sword in hand note makepoint.gif

it is the frontispiece for a famous newspaper printed in boston mass. THE INDEPENDENT CHRONICLE & THE UNIVERSAL ADVERTISER, ---see link below---- 1776-1781 reporting on revolutionary war news and the vinette on the top of the front page was a rendition of the sword in hand patriot on the paul revere sword in hands notes

you can see someone cut the top middle of the front page of this newspaper out around this patriot with a sword in hand after the famous notes from the colony of massachusetts

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/viewissue.aspx?ID=212422 please click on blue link

also the reverse is the top part of the writing of the back of the front page of this THE INDEPENDENT CHRONICLE & THE UNIVERSAL ADVERTISER, Boston 1776-1781 reporting on revolutionary war news

you can buy (as they are common and available) full 8 to 12 page printed on both sides newspapers from issued 1776 -1781 telling of the reports of the revolution with this vinette of the sword in hand patriot on the top middle of the front page; this newspaper again you can buy a common decent copy for around $100 or so dollars

why do i want to pay for a small cut piece of the paper confused.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

devil.gifSLEEZEBAY YOU GOTTA LOVE IT devil.gif

someone should report this false and misleading bullsh*t

chad this is an interesting example find on sleezebay

of a newspaper cut out being portrayed as an original sword in hand note massachusetts colonial currency

when it is NOT..........

worth a few cents $.05 in my opinion

here is a reverse of an august 18 1775 11 shilling sword in hand note

close to xf-40 i grade it choice vf+ near miss xf

of all the series and different demonimations

only approx. 700 exist and most all 85% ++ are below fine to rag condition.

photo of sword in hand note the really scarce sleeper 11 shilling first issue note

sorry i tried again and it says file too large

if someone would pm me i could send them the file and then you resize it to fit and post it here

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ttt

for the night crew..........................

also an update

the colonial state notes are extremely collectible and many try to get a revolutionary war set of one of each issuing state of colonial era notes preferably when the revolutionary was going on and this is not only quite historical but a great value opportunity set and anyone i think well most anyone would understand and apprecaite seeing a set as such

and it can be done with a limited budget of a few thousand $$$$$$$ with the exception of the vermont note but i think something to always strive after

maybe boiler78 might make a post as i think he is working on a 13 state colonial currency note set hm:foryou::cloud9:

p.s. start with the scarcer issues first before they get more expensive ie. mass. south carolina, georgia and maryland......................