• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this worth more than $20?

6 posts in this topic

After a quick trip to the ATM, I received this $20 FRN that I noticed was cut off-center. Considering that the top "margin" was too small, it was easy to notice. I also have a good eye and thought the note was not straight was confirmed measuring with a precision ruler.

Yes, I know it's circulated. Yes, I know it has a fold. And yes, I know there is an ink stain in the upper left corner. But since I am not a currency collector, can anyone tell me if this is worth more than face value?

OffCenter20.jpg

THANKS!!!

Scott

One of the factors that is used to determine the collectability of a note is its

centering. A note with poor centering, which is the case on the note that was

posted in this thread, is valued less than a note with good or perfect centering.

Currency collectors seek perfection, and perfection in regards to centering means

equal margins, top and bottom, as well as, left and right. A note without perfect

centering is considered a flawed note and is, therefore, a less desirable note.

I see no reason to keep this stained, circulated, poorly centered note as a

collectible. Keep it as an example of sloppy workmanship by the BEP, if you

must, but don't expect to get any premium for it.