• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish modern US currency had more of this:

15 posts in this topic

Looking at some of the confederate money from my earlier post, I find myself fascinated by the depictions of life in the 1860s. I'm certainly not supporting the slavery depicted, but I do appreciate the images for giving me a glimpse of what the world as like that the bills were circulating in. I wish modern United States currency would show more about what life is like today - perhaps if it did, then in another 150 years a collector much like me would be similarly appreciative of the insight it offers into early 21st century life.

The top image is from a bill issued by the Bank of Hamburg, SC and the lower one is from a Charleston, SC bill

1351538-confederate_crops.jpg

1351538-confederate_crops.jpg.2ee7c826b8ca3668b360633cf6c6c582.jpg

That's so pessimistic, Chad. We have such a rich variety of culture in America today and I'd like to see it represented on our currency. Some examples:

Outdoor marketplaces like the ones in Seattle

The NYC skyline

a Jazz performance in New Orleans

the huge crops being harvested in the mid-west

Cape Cod

Families picnicking on the Washington Mall

Some of our national parks

That's just a few.

I'd even love to see some Rockwell paintings being incorporated into modern currency - I think he captured America's spirit in a lot of his work.

Outdoor marketplaces like the ones in Seattle ---> Loud, noisy

The NYC skyline ---> Corporate buildings!

a Jazz performance in New Orleans ---> Might work

the huge crops being harvested in the mid-west ---> you want a tractor on our money?

Cape Cod ---> Lighthouse... Yay.

Families picnicking on the Washington Mall ---> With people on cell phones walking by.

Some of our national parks ---> ruined because of acid rain and litter.

Ah yes, the good ol' freakin Declaration of Independence. Nothing like respect for a classic.

Anyway, to answer your "points":

"Loud, noisy" <--this is a problem why? Is the coin going to deafen people?

"Corporate Buildings" <-- They're not all corporate buildings. Have you even been there?

"tractor on our money?" <-- Wouldn't be the first time

"lighthouse, yay" <-- 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, a beacon of light projecting into the darkness of the world. That's not a symbol of America, no...

"with people on cell phones walking by" <-- It's an engraving, not a photograph, genius.

"ruined by acid rain and litter" <-- Sorry, didn't realize that the national parks are all trashed so bad nobody visits any more.

""All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure."- Mark Twain "

Ironic.

So how many bid retractions are you up to, anyway? yeahok.gif

Ah yes, the good ol' freakin Declaration of Independence. Nothing like respect for a classic.

Anyway, to answer your "points":

"Loud, noisy" <--this is a problem why? Is the coin going to deafen people?

"Corporate Buildings" <-- They're not all corporate buildings. Have you even been there?

"tractor on our money?" <-- Wouldn't be the first time

"lighthouse, yay" <-- 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, a beacon of light projecting into the darkness of the world. That's not a symbol of America, no...

"with people on cell phones walking by" <-- It's an engraving, not a photograph, genius.

"ruined by acid rain and litter" <-- Sorry, didn't realize that the national parks are all trashed so bad nobody visits any more.

""All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure."- Mark Twain "

Ironic.

So how many bid retractions are you up to, anyway? yeahok.gif

flamed.gif

Dude calm down. Just pointing out a few things. No need to immediately jump on the defensive and get all mean about it.

I would like to see some different scenery on paper money , but it would have to involve politicians to sponsor a bill and then agree on a scene picked through a committee or appointed group , then pass by vote into legislation that they can all agree on with the added riders added in to provide some pork funding to twenty different states for each politicians district to get funding for their particular interests , then they'll add in other wording to the legistlation that would allow either large corporations to bilk the public more or provide big oil companies some kind of way to get away with bilking us some more and then...etc......just to get some decent scenery on our spending cash .....which is why nobody wants them to mess with it....too afraid of all the other stuff .

BUT , if they could just pass simple legislation for the paper money like they do for the coinage ( commems) we might be able to see and share some great depictions of daily life in America and that would be absolutely Great!

Incorporate the newer anti-counterfeiting measures into the scenes also.