• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question on currency grading

8 posts in this topic

I was surfing through ebay for large size notes, and I came across a Series 1918 $2 graded by PMG as Fine 12, but there was a corner missing from the note. Is this common in currency grading? As primarily a coin collector, I would have thought that a missing corner or tear would be like a scratch on a coin resulting in a body bag and a net grade. Is this not true in currency?

It looks like it should have been BB'd. Here is a quote from PMG's website:

Some notes fail to make the grade, so to speak. For example, notes which have a corner missing, are stained or been damaged due to most any adverse occurrence after leaving the BEP will be net graded. This means that instead of no grading it, PMG will holder and authenticate it as a "Net Grade". PMG will specifically state the reason(s) any note is net graded. The PMG guarantee is not valid on any net graded note.

Zach

Currency grading is somewhat different than coins. PCGS does it few different ways. Red lable, or not call it PPQ, their version of original and not messed with. Usually if a note has been messed with PMG may choose not to grade it.

PCGS will grade a pressed GEM, a GEM 65 with no PPQ attached. PMG will call that a much lower grade.

Personally I like the PMG thinking as opposed to PCGS. My prefrence, I think over time the PMG notes will command more $$$$.

Of course, avoid CGA, run, duck, hide.`

Well, I went back and found the item: 1918 $2 on eBay

You can clearly see the missing corner, and maybe it does say "Net" in tiny letters by the grade. It seems like they might employ something similar to coins where they note the problem and then net grade more prominently.