• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5 bill with no serial numbers or seal

26 posts in this topic

With my digital camera acting up I'll end up having to get a scan at work of said bill, but just out of curiosity do you think this thing would be worth something?

I got it brand new when I was working at a bank. Its a 1988 series and other than a fold in the middle (how it has been stored all this time) its very crisp and looks good.

I just kept it as a curiosity and never really thought about it being worth much. You can see the "2" that would typically be printed in all 4 corners. It looks like an imprint but no ink. You can't see even a serial number imprint anywhere.

Anyway, soon as I can get it to a scanner I'll throw it up here.

Mike Richardson

Without seeing the note, using the info. you've stated about it (and assuming it's genuine and unaltered), it would probably retail for around $250. more or less. The one heavy fold knocks it's condition down to an A.U. instead of a C.U.

It sounds like it accidently went through the overprinting press with another uncut half sheet lying on top of it, which kept it from receiving the seals and serial number.

You've had some excellent finds. The quarter has the outer clad layer missing and is worth a premium but not a bundle. I'd say the fiver is worth some bucks, though.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the input. I love collecting. I have a stack of about 50 1964 and earlier half dollars, a few quarters, and such. I have about 10 steel pennies from '43, a couple of ike dollars and lots of other stuff like mercury dimes and 1800's indian head pennies.

I really honestly had no idea the $5 was worth much at all. I just thought it to be a curiosity. I'm glad I found this site.

Well, I don't know if you all are messing with me about the value of the $5 but a person who I approached to have the bill and quarter graded said this:

"Standard currency grading is $25.00, Standard coin grading is $30.00, your items are not worth hardly more than face value"

He was listed on the PMG site as a contact in my state (and was the closest to me).

Well, I don't know if you all are messing with me about the value of the $5 but a person who I approached to have the bill and quarter graded said this:

"Standard currency grading is $25.00, Standard coin grading is $30.00, your items are not worth hardly more than face value"

He was listed on the PMG site as a contact in my state (and was the closest to me).

I would very seriously doubt the above statement!

A good indicator of their value + would be to put them on e-bay. Often bidders will even pay insane money just because something is "cool".

I reposted your question here.

It does look a little washed out looking. confused-smiley-013.gif

With 2 vertical center folds and the left bottom corner fold it is hard to believe it came from the BEP like that?

Look at the V in five, you can still see the spaces where the seal was removed. foreheadslap.gif

How would they do that and not get the backwards 2 off the reverse?