• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 STAR One Dollar note value... any opinion?

13 posts in this topic

Well, my friend, what you have is a Friedberg 37, United States Note (also known as Legal Tender Notes), in Good condition. As for value, I'd recommend browsing around some online dealers, auction houses, etc. and check out their asking prices for notes in similar condition. Of course, asking price doesn't mean a buying price should you decide to sell it.

Hope this helps.

I'm looking at The Red Book Guide Book to United States Printed Money and listing on pp:59 for the large size one dollar notes does not have a listing for STAR notes. THe one I have is clearly a STAR. The illustrations in the book show notes without STAR... I think the note I have is more rare.

Anyone else have any idea?

Incredibly perplexing...I can't find anything on your note anywhere...Any thoughts to that it is fake...Not to say it is or anything...just an idea to throw into the pot...Your right though...No price guide I have lists FN-37* and no book I have lists it either... The only thing I can think of is that it is

1.) Incredi-rare...... - Priceless

2.) The star was part of the design..... - $90

3.) Fake..... - $0.50

Interesting... well I know that as of 1910 STARS were used in notes to indicate a replacement for errors (pp: 10, Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. Paper Money). So I think it's safe to say it's not part of the design. I don't think the treasury would keep the STAR next to the serial as a design feature if it was being used to denote a replacement.

The only other possibilities is a unique note or an altered note.. And in hand it looks totally genuine.

This is perplexing. I wonder who I can show this note to?