• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Population of STAR notes?

4 posts in this topic

I'm looking at the "Standard Guide to Small -Size US Paper Money" 6th edition, and see that for a given note there was maybe 300,000 STARS printed. Are we to believe that 300,000 note are still in existance? Were these notes or any others routienly destroyed by the mint over the years... taken out of circulation.

I ask, because I see some notes on EBAY that describe some STARS as being 1 of only a handfull known, but see in this book that hundreds of thousands were printed.

Can we rely on "Populaion Reports" from the third party graders as reliable numbers when trying to determine how many may actually exist?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at the "Standard Guide to Small -Size US Paper Money" 6th edition, and see that for a given note there was maybe 300,000 STARS printed. Are we to believe that 300,000 note are still in existance? Were these notes or any others routienly destroyed by the mint over the years... taken out of circulation.

I ask, because I see some notes on EBAY that describe some STARS as being 1 of only a handfull known, but see in this book that hundreds of thousands were printed.

Wow! They sure shipped that book to you fast! Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

For one thing, it depends on what year and series you're reading about. For instance, there were close to 8 million, * A, series 1934 $1.00 Silver Certificates printed, but that was right after the Great Depression, so few people had the financial liberty to set aside currency (or coins) for their own personal enjoyment, not to mention that currency collecting wasn't a real popular hobby anyway in that half century! Thus, very few have survived to the present time, especially in higher grades.

when they list this number, it is the number PRINTED. realize that just as any coin or regual currency, most of these notes get collected by the government and shredded. because these are star note, however, i am going to guess and say more of these are kept as oppose to non-star notes because collectors normally kepp any one they can find.

The number of notes printed can be a very misleading figure.

Some print numbers are official and some are estimated. Sometimes many notes were printed but never released. Many notes which have large print runs, specifically modern FRN issues, are near impossible to find today- in any grade! In contrast, some issues that had lower printings are surprisingly common.

For the most part, the scarcity of earlier small-size issues- USN and SC- are well known. Many modern FRNs are still unclear. There are still some rarities out there!