• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on a 2004 $20 I saw today

9 posts in this topic

I don't have it on me as my mom put it in the bank, which means it's long gone.

But there was four diffrent 04 $20 bills, and on the one bill it had

"Series 2004 A"

As I looked at the others, there was no "A" on them after 2004.

Any help on this?

Yep! It's not just on the 20's but all notes newly pressed. Whichever government official's signature was on there previously has changed. Someone new took their place in office, thus changing their signature respectfully.

The series has changed to 2004 A due to the new Treasurer (the change was to 2003A on $1 and $5 notes I believe), as this is considered by the BEP to be a "minor change." I believe had the Secretary changed it would have been considered a major change, thus creating a series 200X with the new date. It's been quite some time since we've had a minor change like this. I think the last time this happened was the series 1988A. If I recall correctly, after the series 1988A, we had series 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2001 and 2003 before we had the sereis 2003A and 2004A notes.