• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about collecting STAR notes....

33 posts in this topic

Thats great.... I read some where that stars occur in maybe 1 in 100,000 notes. I thought I would have a hard time finding one in circulation.

I think you read that here:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:qo0aB...t=clnk&cd=7

Here's a quote from the section:

Subject: 2.8) I found a note with a star next to the serial number, what

does this mean?

It's a replacement note. When errors are found on notes

during the printing process, the notes are destroyed and

replaced with "replacement notes". This is so a range of

serial numbers contains a predictable number of notes. The

replacement notes have their own serial number range which

is independent of the regular notes. The US error rate is

supposed to be something on the order of one per 100,000

notes.

Replacement notes are generally worth more than regular

notes, especially in combination with an already rare note

or low serial number. As always, condition is very important.

Most counties have replacement notes, although not all

of them use a star marking to identify them. Some countries

use a "Z" or "ZZ" indicator in the serial number or some other

method.

Star notes are usually printed at the beginning of a production run in anticipation of the inevitable spoilage and defects that go with just about anything that is mass produced. (Error notes don't usually make it out, which is why they are so prized.)

The stars are then substituted for the defective notes to keep the count correct. In all the bricks of notes I've gone through (quarter bricks for you purists), I have only found two stars in the middle of the pack.

Every 10,000 notes, the BEP pulls the xxxx9999 & xxxx0000 notes and replaces them with stars, so the mathematical odds there would be 1 in 5000. Any star notes remaining after the regular production run has ended are usually shipped out for normal circulation, which accounts for the star packs you see on occasion.

So while the spoilage rate might be in the order of 1 in 100,000, your chances of getting one are actually much higher. I get two 1000 notes bricks of $2's from my bank on a weekly basis, and sometimes hit the right one with the stars.

This is very interesting - thanks for the information! Do you happen to know why the BEP would go to all the effort of replacing two notes out of ten thousand with stars? Am I correct that this function is integrated into the production process and fully automated?

Beijim