• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Way to Display Modern US Bills?

7 posts in this topic

I've been collecting coins since I was in 6th grade, around 1995, and I started to collect bills a few years later. I generally just collected one of each type of the larger denominations (a $5, a $10, a $20), and I've tried to collect one of each type of $1 by year and Federal Reserve Bank. I've kept the bills in simple envelopes.

Since I don't think this is the best storage medium, and since my bill collection has expanded to over 100 in number just from collecting like this, I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my envelope storage medium to something else.

Are there albums that are good for this kind of thing? Since I only collect bills I can lay my hands on, I only have present-day-sized ones in my collection. I've heard that Dansco is generally the best for coin albums (see my P.S. below), but do they make something that's good for bills? Or is there a better option or better brand? Oh, and I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on something, since my bill collection is worth only around $400.

Thanks!

[P.S. People who read both this forum and the "Numismatic Tangents" might realize that I just posted a question there about a good coin album brand. I don't consider this a double-post since this is about paper money and not coins, so my apologies if a moderator thinks it is.]

There are albums, but if it's just a date set of bills with no stars, errors, etc. and it's only from 1995 up then i see no need to upgrade to something better. If you really feel the need, head down to your local coin shop and ask him. He should have something better for you to put them in.

I do have one star bill, though it took me forever to figure out what that meant when I first encountered it in the Black Book price guide.

So you don't think that grease/oil from older bills will damage newer bills? I think that's my main concern at this point.

I agree with Silver, i dont really see a need to keep tehm in a professional storage medium. all your bills are less then ten years old, and if all uncirculated, there should be no reason why they need to be prodtected. I personall bought 100 plastic non-pvc holders and keep all my non-current bills in them since they have a higher tendency to get damaged quickly. For the new bills, i would just keep them in a dictionary so they wont bend and possibly to trick any potential theifs.

All good advise. I'm a newbie with a smaller but completely Uncirulated collection. Mainly low star notes. : triple zero Silver Certificates, some Uncirulated 1934 $5,Red Seals and some Uncirulated 1950 -74 $20 ( Uncirulated ). It just appears to be easier to determine value when using a price guides.

My album is a Walmart special ( Leather ) 3 ring. I then purchase several Quality note holders from my Local coin shop. After placing the note in a non-PVC top loader and then in note page, all display OUTSTANDING front and back. Just another opinion.