• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1995 Two Dollar Bills

6 posts in this topic

I work in a bank and I had a customer come in talking about his money collection!! He said that a 1995 series two dollar bill with a FW in the bottom right corner of the bill meant that it was a silver mint and that it would be worth a lot!! I ended up finding 14 of them in my collection at home and was wondering if they actually were worth anything??

Hmmmmm, im not really sure if that is true. It does make sense that the FW refers to Fort Worth, Texas where they mint silver coins. However, I checked most of my current bills and the majority have a FW on them. When he showed you this, were they the first pair of letters.

Looking at my bills, almost all of them have this in the bottom right: "FW(some letter)(some number)" Because of this, i don tthink that this person knew what he was talking about. I think he mixed up having a FW coin because some of those are rare.

FRNs are produced in two facilities, Fort Worth and Washington D.C. Most of the notes from the first five Fed districts (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Richmond) are produced in DC while the remaining 7 (Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas and San Francisco) are produced in Ft. Worth. Since all the series 1995 $2 notes for circulation were issued by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, they would all have been produced in Ft. Worth. The same is true of the series 2003 $2 notes as all were issued by the Minneapolis Fed. So, bottom line, those $2 notes are at least worth $2, maybe more if they are uncirculated.

Hello spider , If you mean the serial number , then yes. If the number is the same all the way across , or the first four is the same as the last four or a mirror image(radar) or a birth year or the same in any combination as in 23232323 , 11111111, 12344321 , 43211234, 12345678 , 87654321 , etc then there is probably a collector out there that wants a bill/note like that. I like low numbers and star(replacement) notes , so if it was 00000123 or *23452318 I would want to add it to my grouping. If that helps any , John