• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the designers of large size notes?

4 posts in this topic

I know the designers of coins but are there any books or reference materials that discuss the designers of large size notes?

I did find this yesterday from the Bass collection.

"The designer of the "Indian Chief" note: The much-admired vignette of the Sioux Indian chief displayed on the $5 notes of 1899 is the work of Raymond Ostrander Smith, an engraver of many talents. Hired by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in July 1897, he remained there until 1902, when he went to Chicago to work for the Western Bank Note Company, which at the time was a producer of security documents (bonds, stock certificates, etc.). Later he worked for the American Bank Note Company, in whose employ he remained until his death in 1933.

In addition to the $5, among other work in the Series of 1899 notes, his $1 with the American eagle, the U.S. Capitol, and Lincoln and Grant is important, and his $2 portrait of Washington flanked by the personifications of Mechanics and Agriculture is similarly so. He also created portrait motifs for the $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 Third Charter Period notes issued by National Banks. For the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo (the event attended by President McKinley, at which he was assassinated) Smith created the full run of commemorative stamps of 1¢, 2¢, 4¢, 5¢, 8¢, and 10¢ denominations."

Thanks for your help in advance.

Todd

If I am not mistaken G.F.C. Smillie Was the engraver of the 1899 $5 Portrait. It is said that Chief Running Antelope refused to wear the Indian Headress! The Chief was Sioux and the Headress was Pawnee!!!

Here is the link I found this information at:

http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/basscatalogs/BASSSALE1/b1-1-d.htm

Also, from the other side of the street:

Gnat said:

"The single best source for this information is Gene Hessler's Comprehensive Catalog of U.S. Paper Money, the 6th edition is the most recent (I don't know the status of a supposed update). Other sources are more diverse, such as articles in Paper Money magazine (the Society of Paper Money COllectors official journal."

I order this today.

Todd

I have Gene's book. Gene has G. F. C. Smilie as the engraver of the Indian??? I guess I need to check out the Bass link. I do remember the Bass sale though... I really don't keep up on the note engravers though.