• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 $1 Bill - value?

5 posts in this topic

Ok Dave-----Need more info. Names on note----who are they? What does the note say at the top? Who"s picture is on the note? What is the serial number? But, in the meantime, stop "feeling" the note. Again, you are adding your sweat from your fingers etc. as well as the dirt off of your hands onto the note----NOT GOOD FOR THE NOTE. Whatever condition it is in, the less handling the better. Bob [supertooth]

supertooth, sorry, I've not been online since last post...

Here's more info:

#1 Names on note----who are they?

John Burke, Treasurer of the U.S.

Houston B. Teebee?, Register of the Treasury

#2 What does the note say at the top?

At the very top, "This note is a legal tender for one dollar"

Below that, "UNITED STATES"

upper right, "Series of 1917"

upper left, picture of a group of people, along side them it

says, "Act of March 3rd, 1863"

#3 Who"s picture is on the note?

George Washington

#4 What is the serial number?

B81783123A

Back side has:

"One Dollar" quite a few times.

"United States" criss-crosses "Of America" in the center.

On right side, alot of writing, starts with "This note is a legal tender at its face value........"

And then a longer paragraph, which starts "Counterfeiting or altering this Note or passing any Counterfeit or Alteration..........."

As always, I appreciate any responses---thanks in advance!

Ok Dave-----First it is Teehee and not Teebee---that is not important---just so you know. Anyway, there were 269,684,000 of your notes printed. I wanted the serial number to make sure that you did not have a "star" note---which you do not. Star notes are worth "much" more---especially if in excellent condition. My last book---1997--- lists this note as 30 for a fine and 65 for an xf note---unc was 200. Hard to know what condition of your note is without seeing it. But at least this gives you some idea. Note has to be in pretty good shape to make it an XF----fairly crisp---no tears or missing corners---no pinholes. In other words a really nice note. Would compare to what an XF45 to AU50 coin would look like. Folds and creases are bad too for any paper note. And don"t forget---try not to put your fingerprints all over the note. No matter its condition, the less you handle it the better. Bob [supertooth]