• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confederate $$$$

7 posts in this topic

I'm unable to post pics, but I'm sure you're right that they're fake. I also have a few with advertising on the back of them, and the ones I'm questioning feel the same as those, so guess that answers my question....I've inherited my father's collection just recently and slowly trying to figure out what it all is and it's value...Sorry in advance for all of my upcoming stupid questions!.....I know nothing about coins and currency..... confused.gif

I appreciate the quick replies by everyone, thanks alot......

Take some time and go back and read the posts on these boards----it may take you a few days. Some of them are "most educational" and definitely worth the trouble. My reasoning is simple. You need to find out about whether your dad"s stuff is worth anything or not. These threads will help you to understand quite a bit. Then go get yourself a decent coin book and paper money book and a grading book. Sit down and "read" and learn----before you take your coins to "anyone". You can get some fundamental knowledge of what you have and if anything might be really rare and valuable. Hold your coins on their edges----never put your fingerprints on "any" coin. And ABSOLUTELY NEVER CLEAN ANY COIN. If you find one or several that you feel might need some help, after much time learning, you may want the help of NCS. But go get a little knowledge for yourself. Your dad spent time and caring to save these coins----you need not throw away his efforts because of your lack of knowledge. He may have saved you some "REAL WINNERS". And ask questions here on the boards. Most of us are really willing to try and help. You may not always like the answers but mostly they will be "mostly" truthful----except on days when guys are playful. Bob [supertooth]

You may be "out of your league" but you have potential---as my wife used to say to me. My reasoning is that you are polite and seem willing to learn. That gives you a leg up on a lot of others. Coins can be the "hobby" of a lifetime. More enjoyment than many would think. Your dad probably enjoyed himself more than you probably know. Maybe just give it a chance----learning is and can be "fun". Just take your time. Those coins are not eating anything----they will be there each day you care to look at them. Just do not expect to be in the top of the class in a week or two. Takes awhile. And, when you get stumped, put the info on these boards. We will do our best to help you. But, if you deceide to do something drastic, put it out on the boards so that we can offer advice FIRST before you do it. There are guys here----far worse off than you. Then there are some real pros in the business. Me----I have paid my dues as they say. But I like to help---to keep others from learning the "hard" way. Bob [supertooth]