• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the US ever produce a Proof note?

15 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about whether or nor the US could produce a Proof Note?

I guess I would really like to know how one would go about asking the BEP to make a Proof Note. Say a Proof set each year. They could make a $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and a $100 year date set.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure you could get enough people that could afford it...

You are already at $188 for the note value... then add on for the proof handling and then the packaging...

I like the idea... but with my purchases from the Mint every year, having to also watch BEP would force me to get a second job...

Welcome to the boards,TaZ! hi.gif

Hopefully you'll stick around for a while!

I agree with the fact that most people wouldn'tbe able to afford it.But then again alot of collectors these days have a little extra cash and would probably jump on the bandwagon.Plus we all know that the Mint&BEP are all about making money.

(pun-intended 27_laughing.gif)

-Hayden

I will be talking with several people who might be able to help facilitate the BEP towards the goal of producing a yearly Proof currency set.

Here are the thoughts so far.

One, we would need to work with ICTA and gather a petition showing the demand among collectors.

Two, would the BEP have to have separate plates from the standard plates used in notes and if so how would these plates be different?

Three, what distinction would exist between the standard note and a Proof note? (Serial numbers, location, color, etc.)

Four, what would be the mintage?

Five, what ink could be used to create a PL of cameo effect? Perhaps a thicker ink – I do not know.

Any help you could provide would be helpful.

I think a Proof note would be good for the BEP and collectors.

Todd

The same serial would be cool.

Before I approach ICTA, I need to know who here would support the notion of a Proof Currency set.

Please reply with you comments.

Todd

Before I approach ICTA, I need to know who here would support the notion of a Proof Currency set.

Todd

Count me in! Although, I think we should come up with a designation other than "Proof". It (Proof) has been associated with coins for so long that it just doesn't seem to be appropriate.

How about "CUTE" ........... Crisp Uncirculated Treasury Edition ? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

Todd

Count me in! Although, I think we should come up with a designation other than "Proof". It (Proof) has been associated with coins for so long that it just doesn't seem to be appropriate.

How about "CUTE" ........... Crisp Uncirculated Treasury Edition ? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

screwy.gif

I'd support as long as I get my name right after yours when it's noted who came up with the idea. 27_laughing.gif

No humor now:Yes, I would be interested.

Update

I have talked with a person, who remains un-name at this time, who is considering coordinating this opportunity.

The idea would be to work with the BEP and congress to pass legislation and bring this to a reality.

I have received contacts from collectors and dealers like you who support the notion and believe this is a win for all parties.

So far, the change in the proof note from the non proof note would be the paper.

I am looking for ideas. Please feel free to reply or contact me direct if you have any suggestions.

Todd

Update

I have talked with a person, who remains un-name at this time, who is considering coordinating this opportunity.

The idea would be to work with the BEP and congress to pass legislation and bring this to a reality.

I have received contacts from collectors and dealers like you who support the notion and believe this is a win for all parties.

So far, the change in the proof note from the non proof note would be the paper.

I am looking for ideas. Please feel free to reply or contact me direct if you have any suggestions.

Todd

Todd, I feel that that is an exceptional idea as long as they are all low serial numbers and are handled appropriately.

p.s. I'm was sorry to hear about your pops passing. frown.gif Your family has set a wonderful example as a functional family unit. That is encouraging like it is to see a healthy marriage.

Hey, I know that this thread has not been responded to in a while, but I too would support this and would easily pay a premium for these notes as long as there is a visual difference. Mabey they could lower the serial digit number such as 6 or 7 instead of the standard 8. Also, these notes should have a unique symbol next to the serial number. For example, instead of a star there would be a "#" or square symbol. I would gladly be a part of this process and will help in any way i can, just let me know!