• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In-between Grades for Currency

3 posts in this topic

I have the most recent Friedberg book for paper money values. But I'd like to find out how to determine values for in-between grades that are not listed in the book. Such as VF-30 and AU-50. Is there another guide I can use that will provide reliable values? Thanks.

I’ve found that guides will generally get you a “ball park” price for notes. The paper money market waxes and wanes and for a more accurate idea of current trends, I would suggest checking recent sold prices on similar notes at eBay, Heritage, and other websites that attract heavy traffic from PM collectors.

One way is to interpolate a value given the listed values (i.e., estimate the price for a CH64 to be halfway between a CH63 and GEM65). I've found that the listed prices for many notes in the Friedberg books seem agree with this, with an EF40 landing about halfway between a VG20 and UNC60. That's possibly because the listed  prices are based on selling price, and the sellers set the price using interpolated values. You might be able to come up with a more exact value by graphing the price and fitting a curve through the listed points.