• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883 Morgan Dollar Carson City Error Question

2 posts in this topic

I have an 1883 CC Morgan Dollar that has a story behind it and I need some advice. The story is that the coin got stuck in the machine at the Carson City mint and it had to be pried out. The coin is in incredible shape minus the damage that was caused to the coin from the error. My question is would there be any way to authenticate this story? Would it be worth getting graded or is it just a damaged coin and worth only its weight in silver? What would you do if you owned this coin?

A certification agency likely would be able to determine if the coin was damaged during the minting process or after it was released. Without a photo I can't be sure, but my opinion is that the coin may have been jammed in a dollar coin accepter like on the old-time slot machines and damaged when it was pried out by a slot mechanic. My first step would be to show it to and talk with a coin dealer since they are generally are pretty knowledgeable about coin errors and possible counterfeits from China.