• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928 $20 Star Note

10 posts in this topic

I recently purchased what I think is a pretty cool 1928 $20 Star FRN Chicago. It has some staining but otherwise is in Fine condition I think, regardless of the condition, the serial # is 00000255, and I'm curious if any of you have seen a lower numbered note from this star note run. I'm considering having it graded just because of how low the serial number is, I'm mostly a coin collector and somewhat new to currency grading standards especially regarding stains.

Also, I've done a lot of looking around and can't find a source for printing size of this star note run. Can anyone help me with that information?

I will try to get a good scan of the note tomorrow.

Looks like they lump series 1928,1928A and 1928B Chicago star notes together and the total is 264,000. I usually stay away from problem notes (staining) but that is a low serial number.

This link gives the totals; http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/all___v.html

Scroll down the page to see the star notes.

Indeed you do. Well hell, thought I had a real good one. Regardless, I'm going to be hanging onto this one for a while, it's my only $20 Star note.

1928man, as a collector of this series, do you value the lower serial notes more than thise with high serial numbers? Have you found any trend within this series, such as a large number of low serial notes surviving in higher grades?

Certainly the lower serial numbers (1000 or lower) are more desirable for most notes.The lower they are the more you can expect to spend.The values,both monetarily and collectable,are higher as you go to the least number of digits rather than the number itself(in most cases)-for example....#128 would be worth less than #78 and #78 less than #8.That stated,grade also does come into play.As to trends,the only thing that seems to hold true is that the lowest numbers (approximately 1-100 non-stars)tend to be in higher grades mostly as many were,in the 1928 series, given away to government officials as sheets of 12 notes each.These sheets eventually ended up in the hands of collectors-they were usually well kept and then cut up and dispersed to the collecting community.I'm pretty sure there are still a few uncut sheets still around.Keep in mind that within the 1928 series there are $5,$10,$20,$50 and $100 denominations so there are a good number of these low-numbered non-stars out there.The stars are a different story as they were,one by one,inserted into the non-star packs as needed to replace mis-printed notes and so their grades are all over the map as they were all in packs that were circulated(for the most part).