• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Summer seminar series - anyone here attend?

19 posts in this topic

The Summer Seminar series is a long-running ANA activity.

I'm curious is anyone posting here attended and if so what do you feel was excellent and what could be improved?

I've been going since 1983, originally as a student and for the past 20+ years as an instructor. It's definitely a good investment for anyone who's serious about learning and building their skills in the hobby. Collectors typically don't know as much as they think they do, and it can come as a revelation to them.

"....and everyone should take the course on counterfeit detection."

Agreed. It's also fortuitous that the counterfeit detection class is offered not far from the source of so many counterfeits, too!

"....and everyone should take the course on counterfeit detection."

Agreed. It's also fortuitous that the counterfeit detection class is offered not far from the source of so many counterfeits, too!

I didn't know the Denver Mint made "counterfeits" ?

I did not attend the Summer Seminar, but the "Modern Minting" Summer Seminar class with instructor James Wiles attended my Moonlight Mint on a field trip.

A good time was had by all. Students were able to see the entire minting process up close: concept designs and sketching; 3D sculpting; die engraving; die hardening and prep; planchet fabrication; coin press setup; and operation (striking) using a modern Denver Mint surplus coin press.

Each year I prepare a couple dies so the students can strike their own Open House token souvenir on their own pocket change or other coins/tokens/medals. This year was a special piece. The obverse die is the 2016 Clark Gruber "half eagle". The reverse die is actually a US Mint "X" cancelled 1996 Olympic $5 gold reverse die, one of only 33 such dies released by the US Mint.

Struck in a reeded-edge collar on a Liberty Head "V" nickel:

open_house_2016_nickel.jpg

Broad-struck on a 38mm Bronze Denver Mint medal (my personal favorite of the pieces struck during the field trip):

open_house_2016_medal.jpg

Edited by dcarr

Can Summer Seminar participants offer suggestions for improvement in the program? Is the range of subjects sufficient or do some things need to be added or revised?

It's definitely a good investment for anyone who's serious about learning and building their skills in the hobby. Collectors typically don't know as much as they think they do, and it can come as a revelation to them.

Amen. That was my biggest take away from my first ANA Summer experience

mark

I did not attend the Summer Seminar, but the "Modern Minting" Summer Seminar class with instructor James Wiles attended my Moonlight Mint on a field trip.

A good time was had by all. Students were able to see the entire minting process up close: concept designs and sketching; 3D sculpting; die engraving; die hardening and prep; planchet fabrication; coin press setup; and operation (striking) using a modern Denver Mint surplus coin press.

Each year I prepare a couple dies so the students can strike their own Open House token souvenir on their own pocket change or other coins/tokens/medals. This year was a special piece. The obverse die is the 2016 Clark Gruber "half eagle". The reverse die is actually a US Mint "X" cancelled 1996 Olympic $5 gold reverse die, one of only 33 such dies released by the US Mint.

Good on you D Carr. Lucky students.

mark

Thats cool. I would like to attend such kind of seminar. I'm really enjoying study process, thats why i am reading tons of information on the web, like here, for example. I hope that seminar repeating every year so i can attend it this one and get some interesting info!

Edited by Henry Vaas

I’ve also wanted to attend some of these seminars but I never did. Better late than never.

Do they offer Currency grading 101, or is it all about coins? I collect both, but my currency grading skills definitely need some serious improving.

I love to attend seminars that focus on physics, chemistry, and mathematics! These are the subjects that I just admire! Also like to go to scientific reports it is my passion! It makes me smarter and of course  - college ... Yesterday I was assigned to write an Expository Essay. I had not yet encountered this type of essay. And my first question was How to Write an Expository Essay? But it turned out to be easy https://domyessay.com/blog/expository-essay thanks to this blog I can write any type of essay without any problems! After spending only 10 minutes to read the article, I learned about professional tips and tricks used by experienced writers. With this blog I can write any kind of essay, and it's very cool!

It is very good that there are such seminars. Now young people need to attend more of this type of seminars. The world is developing so rapidly. I believe that you need to keep up with the times. Thanks to modern technology, a lot of time can be saved. Even, for example, I didn't know what to do with my essay. I consulted with friends and relatives. I spent a lot of time writing essays on my own. Unfortunately, the desired result was not achieved. I accidentally met a classmate who, during our conversation, recommended that I write essays for money https://essayservice.com/write-essays-for-money At that time, the Universe itself made it so that I met my classmate. I used this service without thinking at all. I just had to collect material for writing an essay and pay. It was a good and correct decision. And I came to the conclusion that it is not worth wasting time that can be spent with friends or family.

thanks for the info post! I lead a healthy lifestyle, enjoy sports, and thanks to that I got my college degree. But no one canceled the written work and their result still affects my degree. Since I do not have time for this, I turn to cheap research papers for help - professional writers work here who write unique texts, and most importantly - on time.

Edited by JeyJeys

I am very glad that now there are such seminars and it has become easier for students to develop. I personally frequent something like this. For myself, I even realized that sometimes it's easier to pay for an essay, for example https://essayhub.com/pay-for-essay, here to free up time for attending a seminar, since I believe that this is much more profitable than just sitting and writing an essay

It is a very interesting topic. I think that when you read informative blog you gain new knowledge and it develops our mind. Also, you can use this information for preparing your home task. I recommend Do My Essay Writing Services UK, I think you do not regret visiting and using this service!

Hey, Thanks for sharing great information. It is nice to read such high-quality content. This was the first time I ordered from do my essay. My order went smoothly with the help of the support team, They were as good as they said. The written material came well before the timeline, And it was flawless.

Hello. Check the writers' qualifications. A good essay writing service https://essaywritersservice.pro/ has writers who have degrees and are well-versed in your subject matter. In addition, they have extensive experience in academic writing. Make sure they have at least a master's degree, and look for a or other advanced degree. Finally, look for a company that offers plagiarism reports. If you want to be sure the quality of your paper is high, make sure the company has a good reputation.