• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faded Reverse on Dollar Bill

6 posts in this topic

A banker friend of mine sent me this dollar bill with the back (only) faded or simply yellowish. (Disclaimer: I do not collect error notes). The front appears to be perfectly normal.

Inquiring if this would be a printing error or something that occurred naturally or artificially at some later point in time? If an error, does it have any significant collector value? Thanks for any input.

160969.pdf

160970.pdf

Inquiry....when I attempt to open the attachments in this message, I get a message that says I don't have permission to access. Not sure why I would not or perhaps I posted/uploaded these incorrectly? They are just small PDF files.

I can't access the photos, however I do know that bleach will cause the green on a bill to turn yellow, it could be possible they have been through the cleaners and that damaged the bills.
I can't access the photos, however I do know that bleach will cause the green on a bill to turn yellow, it could be possible they have been through the cleaners and that damaged the bills.

The obverse of the bill is perfectly normal green.

I need to figure out why the photos did not post.

The 21st (2017) edition of "Paper Money of the United States" by Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg notes on p. 266, "Perhaps the most commonly encountered alteration involves notes whose back color has changed to a yellow or orange hue. Such changes occur when paper money is washed in an alkaline-based laundry detergent; most are likely inadvertent."