• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You just gotta see this!

8 posts in this topic

Very interesting post. I've had similar experiences with teen age clerks and $1 Eisenhower coins. The funniest/silliest experience was when a older asian gentleman came into my coin shop years ago. He had his son with him. The gentleman had some silver 90% coins for sale, totalling $1100. I wrote a check for the amount, but he wouldn't have it. He wanted cash, even though my bank was across the street. So, in order to accomodate him, I closed the shop for 10 minutes and ran across the street to cash my check and came back with $100 bills. I started counting out the cash, then his know it all son stepped in and says that two of the bills are counterfeit. I explained I just came from the bank, they just gave it to me. But know it all son says, the two $100 bills didn't have "In God We Trust" on the reverse, so they were counterfeit. OK. Being a nice guy, I pulled out the Frieberg catalog and gave him a 10 minute education on 1950 issue $100 bills. The father was OK with the expanation, but know it all son was too arrogant to admit he was ignorant.

TRUTH

I love these stories. Ignorance is BS, or is that bliss? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Anyhow, I've even had similar things happen with Sacagawea dollars! Fortunately, the clerk asked the manager if they took "these" and got an affirmative. tongue.gif

Hoot

I like to take odd coins around and use them.Most people accept $2 bills,halves etc. and I've never had any problems with people not taking them.They probably thought they were getting osmething rare.

I find it most fun to watch people expressions when I use 'em.

Once I paid for a $22 purchase in Kennedys...the clerk seemed to be in a bad mood all of a sudden,and I cant possibly think why confused-smiley-013.gif

devil.gif-Hayden

I like to take odd coins around and use them.Most people accept $2 bills,halves etc. and I've never had any problems with people not taking them.They probably thought they were getting osmething rare.

Once I paid for a $22 purchase in Kennedys...the clerk seemed to be in a bad mood all of a sudden,and I cant possibly think why confused-smiley-013.gif

devil.gif-Hayden

Kennedy who?

devil.gif-Hayden

Kennedy who?

HAYDEN, I'M GOING TO TRY TO BE SERIOUS, NOW!

About 10 years ago, I was in line at a fast food joint (can't remember if it was McD or BK). An elderly man in front of me pulled out a fistful of pennies to pay for his meal, and he accidentally dropped them on the floor. Pennies scattered everywhere. Because it was near the end of the month, it dawned on me that he had to scrape the bottom of the barrel waiting for his next retirement check. I felt so sorry for him, so I told the clerk that I would pay for his meal. Then I helped him pick up all of the pennies. I got my food and we shared a table. He told me some fascinating stories about the depression and WWII. His stories reminded me of my Dad.

The next day I happened to see him at a different fast food joint where he pulled the same stunt on someone else!

Chris