• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Single Digit Acquisition - Comment on Grading Appreciated

11 posts in this topic

Bought this on the Bay. Very pleased with the condition, although PCGS seems to have undergraded it IMO. Not sure why it's "about new" either.

The obverse centering is excellent and the reverse is good. Overall, the note looks as good as CHCU 63. Regardless, this is my second 0000000X single digit note. :)

Your opinions are welcome. Is this worthy of a breakout and submit to PMG for an upgrade?

8t1c.jpg

epgdic.jpg

Cant speak to the numerical grade itself but it is also missing the PQ. It looks like the lower left margin of the face - lower right of the back has been trimmed.

Thanks. Good eye. Well, I still have it graded by PCGS and love the single digit!

One other issue: when a note with a high grade like this there is always the possibility the grader thought the note had been "pressed". I have seen this before and if this is the case I do wish they would have a Note or a Comment; otherwise we are left scratching our heads.

I do agree with the trimming comment, does appear to be trimmed.

Hey, it is a nice note. Good luck should you decide to submit to another TPG.

Not bashing PCGS, but I see this a lot. Tons and tons of AU58's from them.

IMHO, crack it out and submit to PMG. I think you will be happy with PMG's grade :c)

Still learning, so here's some more questions:

1) If the grader thought it was pressed or trimmed or both, I thought PCGS tagged the holder with the "apparent" term, signifying an issue?

2) I don't understand the trimming. If the original owner was attempting to get the centering better, did he/she mis-cut the trim? Relative to that, do the graders measure the total width and height of the notes to detect trimming alterations?

3) If I submit to PMG for an upgrade, do they leave it in the original holder if it won't upgrade?

Enough questions for now! :grin:

Thanks to all who've replied.

Bob

IMHO, crack it out and submit to PMG. I think you will be happy with PMG's grade :c)

1) If the grader thought it was pressed or trimmed or both, I thought PCGS tagged the holder with the "apparent" term, signifying an issue?

2) I don't understand the trimming. If the original owner was attempting to get the centering better, did he/she mis-cut the trim? Relative to that, do the graders measure the total width and height of the notes to detect trimming alterations?

3) If I submit to PMG for an upgrade, do they leave it in the original holder if it won't upgrade?

Bob

Bob, don't know how to answer your questions especially #2 and #3. Here's an example which baffled me and I finally concluded they thought it was pressed thus no PPQ.

==

Fr.229_X33077119_obv_zpsulqr7z9v.jpg

Seems to be a fuzzy area. I do like the numismatic saying that you are buying the coin, not the plastic. If it looks a lot better than the assigned grade, and the price point is right for you, then who cares. Same for your note. It looks fantastic and I'm envious! :)

I might crack it out when I have four other notes to send in.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob, don't know how to answer your questions especially #2 and #3. Here's an example which baffled me and I finally concluded they thought it was pressed thus no PPQ.

==

Fr.229_X33077119_obv_zpsulqr7z9v.jpg

To the OP's question #3

You would be submitting the note for GRADING, not upgrading or downgrading, just GRADING.

All TPG's must have the note "in hand" to properly grade the note, so the holder would be history.

Thanks, Steve.

To the OP's question #3

You would be submitting the note for GRADING, not upgrading or downgrading, just GRADING.

All TPG's must have the note "in hand" to properly grade the note, so the holder would be history.