• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Consecutive Serial Numbers

12 posts in this topic

If you had a complete brick,I'd say there'd be a premium.

Who knows,maybe you might get more if it was sold as a lot on eBay.

Brick , is that what they call a complete sheet? How many notes on each?

The notes I have mentioned in these first threads have been in the family nearly 50 years or more. I'm not looking to sell them, I just wanted to know if any had value or significance.

Thanks, Hayden!

Chris

Very small premium attached to these. You may be abe to find a sucker on eBay though.

Slow down, JM . That's a bad attitude to have. Even if I were to be "snakebitten" by an unscrupulous, immoral, low-down, despicable SOB, I wouldn't pass it on to another eBayer. That would just add fuel to the fire. Just reading some of the past threads should give you an indication how others view the unsavory practice of "passing the buck".

Chris

I agree with Jamericon.

4LM , congratulations!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif".....justa walkin' the dog. If you don't know how to do it, I'll show you how to walk the dog. (whistle, whistle, whistle) Justa, justa, justa walkin..." yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

LM, have you ever thought of a song and, then, you couldn't get it "out of your head" for several days?

Chris

Brick, is that what they call a complete sheet? How many notes on each?

I'm no currency expert, but this much I do know. The United States Bureau of Engraving and Printing prints United States paper currency in sheets. Each sheet contains 32 notes (or "subjects" as they're called when in sheet form).

Printing proceeds in two basic phases. In the first, intaglio printers produce the base front and back designs on the sheets. In the second, letterpress printers overprint the sheets (which have been cut in half to yield 16 subject units) with the seals, Federal Reserve designations, and serial numbers.

The printing process uses dynamic serial number printing devices to print the serial numbers on the notes. These devices advance the serial number by one each time they print on a new sheet. This means that corresponding notes on successive sheets have serial numbers differing by one, not notes on the same sheet. The Bureau stacks printed sheets one atop the other and uses a powerful cutting machine to slice downward through the stack to produce individual stacks of notes, which are then wrapped into packets with paper retaining bands.

Packets contain 100 notes, regardless of denomination. The Bureau packages 40 packets together into "bricks" which they distribute to the designated Federal Reserve District. A brick therefore is a unit of currency distribution containing 4,000 notes divided into 40 packs of 100 notes per pack.

All of this is by way of explaining that notes with successive serial numbers were actually printed on separate but adjacent sheets in the stack.

grin.gif

Beijim

That is the technically correct definition, and comes directly from the BEP website, to which Beijim has thoughtfully provided the link.

However, I would like to point out that most "bricks" you will come across contain only a thousand notes; this is how I order them from the bank and how they most often appear on Ebay. I believe this is the more common usage of the term "brick"(1000 notes) although in order to be more precise, it should be deemed "quarter brick".

Put more simply:

4000 notes per brick is the BEP definition, and of course correct.

1000 notes per brick is the vernacular definition, and is commonly used.

Excellent clarification and added info, Omega32 - thank you! thumbsup2.gif

When you handle one of the 1,000 note bricks, are the packs bound together somehow, or is it ten loose packs (but with their paper bands)? Not having seen BEP bricks except on TV, I'm curious as to whether the 4,000 note brick is a package of four 1,000 note bricks, or if the 1,000 note units are assembled after the fact once the notes have left the BEP...

Always curious 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,

Beijim