• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I GUESS WE'VE GOT TO START SOMEWHERE

5 posts in this topic

I have six $1 "No Motto" silver certificates. All of them are Series 1935 (A, E & G).

The '35A has a yellow seal. All of the others have a blue seal. My questions are:

1) What is the significance of the yellow seal?

2) When was "IN GOD WE TRUST" added on the back?

Chris

NEXT POST!

The yellow seal note is an emergancy WW2 issue for the armed forces in North Africa.If these forces were overrun,the US would cancel the value of these notes so that the Axis powers could not send there operatives over to the US with the captured money and use it.

There were also Hawaii notes(brown seal) which were issued.

The yellow seal note is an emergancy WW2 issue for the armed forces in North Africa.If these forces were overrun,the US would cancel the value of these notes so that the Axis powers could not send there operatives over to the US with the captured money and use it.

There were also Hawaii notes(brown seal) which were issued.

Thanks, Hayden! I knew about the Hawaiian note. I have a $20 that has HAWAII printed perpendicular on each end of the front just inside the border and superimposed, horizontally, across the back.

Chris

PS. This has given me an idea for another thread.... "Paper Money Terminology"