• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new board for a new topic

20 posts in this topic

It would be a good start if NGC would abandon the policy of grading paper money using the Sheldon coin scale and agree to grade by the actual currency standards of Gem, Choice, CU, AU, XF, etc. I would love to send in currency for grading, but refuse to do so due to these concerns

TRUTH

It would be a good start if NGC would abandon the policy of grading paper money using the Sheldon coin scale and agree to grade by the actual currency standards of Gem, Choice, CU, AU, XF, etc. I would love to send in currency for grading, but refuse to do so due to these concerns

TRUTH

There are always those people who have accustomed themselves to a certain routine and are loathe to accept change. In this case, I think it may benefit us to have a scale of "points" within a particular grade. Would you rather have a note downgraded "a full flight of stairs" just because of one minor flaw, or "just a few steps"?

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifWELCOME TO THE BOARDS PMG! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Chris

PS. I'm really looking forward to direct (non-dealer) submissions......SOON! thumbsup2.gif

Since I have dabbled in currency for 40 years I don't have any use whatsoever for TPG (Third party grading) but I am darned glad to see NGC/PMG take up the cause. IMO, the other TPG services are at best the ICG or PCI of coins. If we are to have TPG in currency we need a truly impartial third party. IMO, CGC and or CGA aren't impartial as they sell their own graded notes. Either openly like CGC or through eBay helpers or the auction houses and etc.IMO that is! They do lurk!

"There are always those people who have accustomed themselves to a certain routine and are loathe to accept change."

I couldn't disagree more. I would prefer to have a coin grading scale of 1-100 instead of 1-70, but that's another story. For currency, the coin scale is just that, a valuation scale of points, which do not take into account many other subjective factors which coins do not have. For example, a CU note with a slight stain, or a slight tear, or a Gem CU note with sunbleaching, or etc. Coins are not currency, coins do not have ink, coins are not graded by smudging, toning on notes is a negative, while on coins it's a positive. All factors which lead the 1-70 useless, EXCEPT for making money.

TRUTH

"There are always those people who have accustomed themselves to a certain routine and are loathe to accept change."

I couldn't disagree more. I would prefer to have a coin grading scale of 1-100 instead of 1-70, but that's another story. For currency, the coin scale is just that, a valuation scale of points, which do not take into account many other subjective factors which coins do not have. For example, a CU note with a slight stain, or a slight tear, or a Gem CU note with sunbleaching, or etc. Coins are not currency, coins do not have ink, coins are not graded by smudging, toning on notes is a negative, while on coins it's a positive. All factors which lead the 1-70 useless, EXCEPT for making money.

TRUTH

Whatever quantitative and qualitative standards are established for PMG grading, I'm sure we won't find such things as bagmarks, hairlines, dipping and whizzing either. The classifiacations CU, XF, etc. are just to broad and leave us open to too much subjectivity. Why do we have to use those terms, anyway? Why don't we just use Best, Better, Good, Bad, Worse and Worst ?

Just because they are adapting the 1-70 scale doesn't mean that they are using the same grading factors.

Chris

Cool. Another place to discuss currency and for me to learn.

Hi, guys. smile.gif

Hi, 2labmom! Your moniker reminded me of a song I haven't heard in a long time.... "Walkin' the Dog" by Rufus Thomas .

Chris

Paper money has come to the Certified Collectibles Group family!

Good morning, Arch!

I'd like to suggest that you consider changing the title of this board from Paper Money to Paper Currency . The board, in itself, doesn't necessarily have to reflect a direct correlation to PMG . Many of the members routinely use acronyms in their posts, and PM is standard for "Private Message". Whenever a member on another board wants to refer to a post on this board, wouldn't it be less confusing?

Chris