• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accidental win any help?

5 posts in this topic

So here is my problem, I was watching the Lyn Knight live auction as I was bidding on a cheap lot of large size $5, $10 and $20 FRNs and I wanted to make sure my web bid held up (so I was prepared to bid more). Well after the previous lot (I thought) had passed and they got to my lot, I thought I had been outbid, since I bid $400, and the next bid was $425, but suddenly the bid button said $450! So I quickly hit the bid only to realize somehow the previous lot had come back, I bit on it and won a $5 Fr. 863a from Richmond in PMG 64! I ended up paying $450 not including the juice, but this was a lot I never looked at and had no intention of bidding on, so how much of a disaster did I buy?

Meanwhile I won the other two bargain lots I bid on, 18 Fr. 237 and 238 $1 silver certs and the aforementioned lot of $240 face in $5, $10 and $20 1914 FRNs.

Call the auction house; perhaps they could afford you a remedy. I know others have had success occasionally with things like this in the past. I have had it happen to me a couple of times at Heritage, and it actually turned out to be blessing in disguise both times. I actually made a profit on both and sold them quickly! (Of course, I am referring to coins, but it is analogous).

Well I don't think that's necessary, I have the funds to cover it, so I'll just suck it up and put the winning item away, I just would hope I didn't pay that much for a note worth only $200!

My cat walked across my ipad one night while I was watching an auction in bed. She hit the bid button and the bid went through on a note I had no interest in, fortunately, there was bidding afterwards and I didn't get stuck with the note.