• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Low is a Low Serial Number?

6 posts in this topic

I see the "low serial #" term used a lot, especially on auctions. Is there any correlation between the number of digits and price, other than a single digit S/N?

I saw a listing, FWIW, on ebay today that said "low serial #". But it had a five digit S/N. Is that really low or just ebay seller hype?

I'm just getting started in currency collecting and appreciate your comments.

Bob

Most serious paper money collectors consider four leading zeros to be low, while others want to see at least five leading zeros. Sometimes the words "Low Serial Number" and "Rare Note" are just as you described, eBay seller hype. I collect serial #12, which is considered low by everybody.

scan0025-13.jpg

scan0001-32.jpg

Low serial numbers are really cool! Any serial number 00001000 or lower is a low serial number in my book. Also, notes with serial number 00002015 and lower can be really fun to collect as birth year notes!

This note has my old telephone area code as the serial number! ;)

19281714_zpse88ecfae.jpeg