• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Price Guide Prices World Notes

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been collecting only about a year and wanted to get a few opinions on pricing. I bought 3 of the most current types of SCWPM and noticed that certain notes sell far above lising while others sell far below. For example, Chinese bank of communications 1914 5 and 10yuan notes list at just $4 for the common issue p117 and p118 notes. They are commonly listed for $30, $40, $50 and higher. Granted they sell for maybe $8- $20 depending on the day and the seller. Will these common variants hold that value? For the collector on a budget these notes are what we buy when other variants of the same note can be hundreds of dollars. On the other side of the spectrum is German notes from the 1910's to the 1940's. Price guide has some listed for example for $70. While there are some of these notes listed for that they routinely sell for pennies on the dollar, even the high priced cat. Varients. Is it just what is popular currently, supply and demand? For those of you that have been collecting notes for years does the market fluctuate heavily year to year, generally speaking. I have gone over the deep end and have purchase literally thousands of notes this year and have quite a nice collection that my wife hates. lol. Not really, but sort of. I have tried to buy under what the sold listing show and have only spent more than $150 on maybe 5 notes and those have been recently as I begin to understand the market better. As I am just now starting to look at notes of this level and beyond i thought it was time to further educate myself. Thanks for any advice.

You have to take the values in the SCWPM with a grain of salt. It is essentially a one-man operation (and not his sole responsibility at F+W) so being up-to-date on values is difficult to manage.

German notes are priced way beyond market prices in the lower grades and the values on many Chinese notes are well beyond what the catalog says.

Use it as a very rough guide only for pricing. Use recent auction listings for more expensive notes (Heritage, Lyn Knight, Stacks, Spink) and Ebay sold prices for lower values.

Thanks. Sounds like about what I have been trying to do and slowly learning. Such a wide variety of stuff out there and I think I need to narrow my collection to specialties like so many people suggest. Can anybody check out the higher end auctions you mentioned? I've seen some through google searches but never actually followed one as the lots have been outside my set budget so far.