• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Currency theft at PCGS currency

5 posts in this topic

Currency dealer Carl Bombara of New York told me that PCGS currency had suffered an employee theft of over six figures dollarwise in notes at their Illinois headquarters recently. I hope a list of the stolen notes will be posted here so collectors will be on the lookout for the stolen notes.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=23&threadid=918430

quote from ATS:

Many of the facts in the article in our local paper are inaccurate, including the statement that this had been going on a couple of years. The facts are that we know who did it, and that we have proof. It is still an open investigation, so I can't say more. Our security procedures worked ideally in that we very quickly identified the problem and the perpetrator. We can never stop things like this from happening, especially in our business, but it is virtually impossible not to get caught if the proper records are kept.

Jason W. Bradford

President, PCGS Currency

But a pretty dumb theft if you ask me. Did the guy really think PCGS wasn't going to notice +$200,000 worth of currency missing?

I had four notes there at the time this occurred and Mr. Bradford contacted me directly even though my notes were NOT involved. Stand up guy and still a great company. He also told me that PCGS currency is no longer a part of the Collectors Universe Inc. (CLCT) which is a shame, I really enjoy their dividend 6.10%.